X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rkohut
    • Oct 2009

WRA vs Korean Gas Cylinders

***** Korea only made wide base GCs. This post only addresses the wide base Winchester and all the Korean GCs. *****

There are some easily recognizable differences and many small ones.

The major differences between the Winchester and all the Korean GCs are;
    (1) the lack of bevel (radiused toe) on the bayonet lug of the Winchester.
    (2) the step beneath the front site mount on the Winchester.
    (3) the surface of the Winchester is generally more porous looking than the Korean, which has a much smoother surface.

Also the Round Barrel Ring Top
    - Only Winchester and the Korean GCs had a round barrel ring top as shown in the 2nd picture below.
    - The SA, HRA, and IHC barrel rings had a flat area on the top.
    - The Winchester was rounded off by manual filing so these filing marks are usually easy to spot.

Last edited by rkohut; 05-12-2017, 08:28 AM. Reason: Editing
  • Perplexed
    • Mar 2010

Thanks - how many Korean and WRA GC's did you have in your sample database to make these comparisons?
    Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein

Please leave feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=33711

Comment

• islandhopper
      • Nov 2009

That's endorsement enough! Great to know some of these differences.

Comment

• rkohut
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by TechMech
        Are the Korean GCs the only ones known to have had a beveled bayonet lug?
        SA, HRA, IHC, and the Koreans all have the beveled bayonet lug. WRA is the only one that doesn't.
        Last edited by rkohut; 05-12-2017, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• Mike Boufford
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by rkohut View Post
          SA, HRA, IHC, and the Koreans all have the beveled bayonet lug. WRA is the only one who doesn't.
          First, thank you for the illustrated characteristics of a Winchester gas cylinder.

Question: with the above quote, how do I tell the difference between an SA, HRA, and IHC gas cylider? I have an unmarked cylinder that I am planning on putting up for sale and I can only guess that it is either SA or HRA.
          I sincerely wish that liberals could have as much common sense and be half as smart as my hunting dogs.

Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors
          Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus et Fidelis

Comment

• rkohut
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Mike Boufford View Post
            First, thank you for the illustrated characteristics of a Winchester gas cylinder.

Question: with the above quote, how do I tell the difference between an SA, HRA, and IHC gas cylider? I have an unmarked cylinder that I am planning on putting up for sale and I can only guess that it is either SA or HRA.
            I can't tell the difference. I think the staking may have something to do with it. Perhaps others can chime in.

Comment

• Orlando
              • Oct 2009

HRA gas cylinder if original will be a more slick finish. Cant always go by staking as swivels could be replaced
              "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

Comment

• Mike Boufford
                • Jul 2012

I received a gas cylinder with the last SA Service Grasde I purchased from the CMP. The gas cylinder has a K stamped onto the bottom of the bayonet lug. Is this an indicator of manufacturer?
                I sincerely wish that liberals could have as much common sense and be half as smart as my hunting dogs.

Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors
                Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus et Fidelis

Comment

• Bad Gambler
                  • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Mike Boufford View Post
                  I received a gas cylinder with the last SA Service Grasde I purchased from the CMP. The gas cylinder has a K stamped onto the bottom of the bayonet lug. Is this an indicator of manufacturer?
                  I have a WRA with a C and was told it didn't mean anything.

You can read the thread I posted under my name.

Comment

• RANGE Guy
                    • Jul 2014

WRA bayonet lug

rkohut

I have done research on WRA gas cylinders as well and I came across pictures showing that some WRA gas cylinders have a very small bevel on them; I have a Korean as well and the bevel is quite large in comparison. The gas cylinders I have, have the round rear ring, ledge below front sight and other than the very small bevel on the lug they match. I compared it to a narrow base WRA that I got from an M1D off the floor in Anniston and it as well has a very small bevel on the lug. Please advise if WRA did in fact have a very small bevel on the lug. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

• rkohut
                      • Oct 2009

Yes, a small number of WRA GCs have the small bevel. This is mentioned at the bottom of the first picture.

Comment

• Saratoga
                        • Aug 2014

I recently read this article and from the excellent pictures and discussion determined that I have one of the Korean GC's on a Winchester I bought in 1994 that at that time was deemed to be original, probably based on the round rear ring. Can you tell me who made the "Korean" GCs: were they made by a company in Korea or is the term used here to denote a M1 used in Korea such as IHC HRA, or SA? I have never to my knowledge seen any discussion of these GCs in any of the GCA journals etc., and would like to know more if possible..Thanks

Comment

• rkohut
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Saratoga View Post
                          Can you tell me who made the "Korean" GCs: were they made by a company in Korea
                          I'm sure the Korean GCs were made in South Korea, but anything is possible.

or is the term used here to denote a M1 used in Korea such as IHC HRA, or SA?
                          I'm also sure that it is not a term used for any M1 made as a result of the Korean war. Korean GCs were made by South Korea as replacement parts for the M1s that we loaned them.

I have never to my knowledge seen any discussion of these GCs in any of the GCA journals etc., and would like to know more if possible..Thanks
                          Dunno, perhaps someone else can help on this.

Comment

• billsm1
                            • May 2010

I THINK this is a WRA? Narrow base with step below front site, file marks on ring even though it still has some flat spot (don't think this is to uncommon). any opinion?
                            Bill
                            http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/bi.../library/wragc

Comment

• duke
                              • Oct 2009

I have several of the Korean Gas Cylinders they have been around for some time unless you know the difference they look like WRA gas cylinders. I have them on my M1 garand shooters no problems so far

Comment

Working...
                              X