• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpha sierra
    Banned
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by water monkey View Post
    OK thanks guys.

What's the benefit from a laminated stock vs non-laminated?
    A laminated stock is MUCH more stable than a stock made of solid wood. Laminated stocks are made of relativley thin layers of hardwood impregnated with epoxy resin under pressure then cured in an autoclave.

The epoxy impregnation does two things:
    1) It tends to seal the wood pores (not 100% but close) which prevents water from being absorbed into the wood.
    2) Most importantly, the many layers of wood glued together resist deformation in ways that solid wood cannot. All materials change dimensions in reaction to temperature changes. Wood also does so in reaction to moisture/humidity changes. Because of the adhesion between layers in a laminate, laminated stocks change dimensions much much less than solid wood stocks.

IMO laminated stocks are virtually as stable as fiberglass stocks with the added benefits that they are heavier and much easier to modify their shape (compared to fiberglass).

Comment

• water monkey
      • Mar 2015

Alright gentlemen thanks for pushing me towards laminate!

Comment

• 3StrikesNC
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by alpha sierra View Post
        A laminated stock is MUCH more stable than a stock made of solid wood. Laminated stocks are made of relativley thin layers of hardwood impregnated with epoxy resin under pressure then cured in an autoclave.

The epoxy impregnation does two things:
        1) It tends to seal the wood pores (not 100% but close) which prevents water from being absorbed into the wood.
        2) Most importantly, the many layers of wood glued together resist deformation in ways that solid wood cannot. All materials change dimensions in reaction to temperature changes. Wood also does so in reaction to moisture/humidity changes. Because of the adhesion between layers in a laminate, laminated stocks change dimensions much much less than solid wood stocks.

IMO laminated stocks are virtually as stable as fiberglass stocks with the added benefits that they are heavier and much easier to modify their shape (compared to fiberglass).
        New to me, my experience has been Autoclaves were used for steam & pressure sterilization, typically pharmaceutical and medical equipment. Never heard of this.

Comment

• alpha sierra
          Banned
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by 3StrikesNC View Post
          New to me, my experience has been Autoclaves were used for steam & pressure sterilization, typically pharmaceutical and medical equipment. Never heard of this.
          Autoclave is just a pressurized oven.

Medical autoclaves and industrial autoclaves are the same in concept but different in execution.

The highest density laminates are placed in vaccum bags, then held in a vaccum while baked in a pressurized oven called that is also called an autoclave. There is no steam used in this process.

Comment

• Greg Ficklin
            • Oct 2009

I would go with the .308 in a full boogie laminate NM Garand. There's no reason not to.
            Distinguished Rifleman #2198
            NRA HP XTC High Master (service rifle)
            NRA Patron Life member
            PCGC Junior Team coach
            CMP GSM Master Inst.

Comment

• water monkey
              • Mar 2015

Can I shoot ANY .308 round out of a Garand.

I currently have HXP and Prvi M2 Ball that I shoot out of my CMP Special

Is the .308 that more accurate than 30-06 match ammo?
              Last edited by water monkey; 03-14-2015, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• alpha sierra
                Banned
                • Jan 2015

I would leave your rifle in 30-06. 308 match ammo is no more accurate than 30-06 match ammo.

Eventually, when you get into reloading (if you aren't already) you'll be able to download 30-06 ammo to make the 200 and 300 rapid fire stages relatively painless while being able to extract more performance out of your ammo for 600 yds than what you could with the 308.

This guy has shown that the 30-06 is hardly obsolete as a match cartridge: http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...les-index.html

Comment

• aloreman
                  • Sep 2012

308 has less recoil and is easier to shoot in the rapids

Comment

• alpha sierra
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by aloreman View Post
                    308 has less recoil and is easier to shoot in the rapids
                    If one is a competent reloader, that is not a true statement.

Comment

• aloreman
                      • Sep 2012

Alpha how many 308 garands have you shot xtc? Almost all of the big time garand builders recommend 308 and those of us who ACTIVELY compete with them would say the same. Scores in the past have proven that 308s score higher than 3006.

Comment

• missilegeek
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by alpha sierra View Post
                        I would leave your rifle in 30-06. 308 match ammo is no more accurate than 30-06 match ammo.
                        Ignition consistency for $500, Alex.

A full case is much more consistent than the half empty .30-06 gas gun load.
                        Service Rifle: 1884-2015 RIP.
                        Service Pistol: 1903-2014

Comment

Working...
                        X