X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deuceguy
    • Mar 2010

Case lube substitute

I read about it and was skeptical. Now I'm a fan.

5W-30 Synthetic motor oil as a case lube. Really easy on the dies and doesn't stretch the neck as much.

I full length sized 300 with less than a half of bottle cap. Of course I'll clean the oil off.
  • Mals9
    • Jun 2011

How are you applying it?

Mals

Comment

• Ltcboy
      • Oct 2009

I have used Pam cooking oil in a pinch
      Your'e not a man, until you own a Garand!

Comment

• Deuceguy
        • Mar 2010

I put a drop between my left index finger and thumb and thin it out a little. Then I apply it around the neck and the wall. No real special way I'm doing it.

Comment

• Riqrob
          • Oct 2009

I use Kiwi Mink Oil. Lanolin and silicone, just a bit on each case.
          Rick

Comment

• lapriester
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Deuceguy View Post
            I read about it and was skeptical. Now I'm a fan.

5W-30 Synthetic motor oil as a case lube. Really easy on the dies and doesn't stretch the neck as much.

I full length sized 300 with less than a half of bottle cap. Of course I'll clean the oil off.
            Yuk! What a mess that must be to clean off. I'll stick with my One Shot outside and use my carbide neck expander and not have to lube the inside of the cases at all.

Larry

Comment

• Deuceguy
              • Mar 2010

I just wiped them off. Just don't put a lot of oil on the case. Soaking in Simple Green works too.

Comment

• bigedp51
                • Jan 2012

The case lube of choice of multitasking dairy farmers and it keeps your hands utterly soft.
                (99.7% Lanolin and it even heals puss filled sores)

Comment

• .22shooter
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by lapriester View Post
                  Yuk! What a mess that must be to clean off. I'll stick with my One Shot outside and use my carbide neck expander and not have to lube the inside of the cases at all.

Larry
                  Actually its probably really easy to clean off because it doesn't adhere to the case. It wipes off cleanly with little effort.

Bill

Comment

• leadhead
                    • Oct 2009

I've been using Bag Balm for awhile now, and it works
                    very very well.
                    Denny

Comment

• RogerFiler
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by bigedp51 View Post
                      it keeps your hands utterly soft.
                      That's spelled "udderly."
                      -
                      "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." Aristotle
                      -
                      Google advanced search: http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
                      In "site or domain" put: forums.thecmp.org
                      -

Comment

• Paladin601
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2010

I use "One shot", even on my carbide dies.

Comment

• lapriester
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Paladin601 View Post
                          I use "One shot", even on my carbide dies.
                          +1 Great stuff if used right. I still can't imagine using motor oil. With One Shot you just drop the loaded rounds on a large towel and roll them around a bit and it's gone. No need to lube necks anymore since I started using the carbide neck expander. I used to use the RCBS water soluable lube and lubed the necks. After sizing I washed them in warm soapy water and placed them in the oven at 250 for 15 minutes. Once they were golden brown they were dry and I removed them I got sick of rolling my cases on a lube pad, tried the spray on and have never looked back. It saves me a bunch of time since I don't have to lube necks, 5 minutes of wash time and 15 minutes of bake time. That adds up to about 50 more rounds loaded.

Larry
                          Last edited by lapriester; 04-15-2013, 03:33 AM.

Comment

• Paladin601
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2010

Originally posted by lapriester View Post
                            +1 Great stuff if used right. I still can't imagine using motor oil. With One Shot you just drop the loaded rounds on a large towel and roll them around a bit and it's gone. No need to lube necks anymore since I started using the carbide neck expander. I used to use the RCBS water soluable lube and lubed the necks. After sizing I washed them in warm soapy water and placed them in the oven at 250 for 15 minutes. Once they were golden brown they were dry and I removed them I got sick of rolling my cases on a lube pad, tried the spray on and have never looked back. It saves me a bunch of time since I don't have to lube necks, 5 minutes of wash time and 15 minutes of bake time. That adds up to about 50 more rounds loaded.

Larry
                            Nothing like the smell of baking brass to give a house that home smell. Plus the one shot, does not contaminate the powder if you leave it on.

Rolling was fine for the straight wall cases, but when it came to the bottlenecks, it was a pain.

Comment

• Mad_Gorilla
                              • Feb 2010

I don't even bother to wipe them down after sizing with One Shot. The majority of it is gone after sizing and subsequent handling during the loading process anyway.

I've seen no discernible difference in performance as far as feeding and extracting, and they all still land in the same place. That pretty much says it all.

Comment

Working...
                              X