View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
Any guess what powder they would have used?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
It contains some type of extruded propellant which some seem to think might be IMR 4064. I don't think anyone knows for sure except Atomic.
When it was first sold by the CMP it was touted as a 168 grain Nosler Custom Competition bullet, 41.5 gr of Varget propellant, with a Winchester LR primer. I checked my notes from when I first started reloading and used that as a starter load as the Atomic Ammo shot well in my M1As and my .308 Win Garands.

I bought two cans, still have 40 rounds left, and had no issues THAT I NOTICED. However, when I bought and shot it I was in the infancy of my shooting military rifles.

Just because (back then) I didn't recognize issues doesn't mean I recommend it. Persons whose opinions I greatly respect have reported issues and warn against this ammo.

I plan to pull the last forty rounds and reuse the bullets. The roughly 4 oz of powder are not worth trying to reclaim, and I have plenty of good HXP brass, so I won't keep the cases either (including those I fired).

Is it worthwhile to recover and reuse the primers? I would want to remove them anyway if I recycle the brass cases, but we're talking only forty primers, or somewhere around a dollar's worth.