View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 01:20 PM

Springfield will not tell you the serial number where DHT receivers were introduce because they have no definitive records. Hatcher’s Notebook gives a good explanation. Rock Island can identify the change for they were out of production when the change was made and knew the serial number where they restarted production.
This is an ancient and ongoing discussion.
There are several opinions/ positions. Here are a few:
1. No SHT receivers are safe to shoot.
2. All SHT receivers are safe to shoot.
3. Some SHT receivers are safe to shoot, but others are not. Like the old shell game (you make the choice)
4. Some metallurgists express the opinion that the DHT carbon steel receivers are not much better than the SHT receivers.
5. During the 1920’s and the 1930’s, Many or the “experts” advised shipping receivers to Sedgley who would reheat treat them.
6. Many SHT rifles were rebarreled and fitted with new bolts and issued during WWII. See Ordnance Went Up Front by Roy Dunlap.
7. I have seen racks of these rifles for sale just after WWII.
8. After ~1926, the SA would not rebarrel a SHT but would furnish a new DHT/NS receiver free of charge when a M1903 was rebarreled at the armory.
9. After WWII the army would exchange SHT receivers for DHT/NS rreceivers for less than $10.00. I exchanged two and received one DHT and one NS receiver
The option and the responsibility is up to the individual shooter, thought I think it wise to alert new shooters to the issue. Some shooters shoot high velocity shells in Damascus barreled shot guns. This discussion will probably be around for an eternity.
FWIW

Last edited by Cosine26; 02-06-2018 at 01:28 PM.