Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2015, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twh1997 View Post
Where did the information regarding the small ordinance wheel being an outside contract stock come from? I have heard it before but never heard of the source.
I have just been told, from a reliable, knowledgeable source, that the small wheel had NOTHING to do with outside contractors. In fact there were no stocks made by outside contractors during the war.
Maybe the previous erronious info is just a case of a "fact" taking on a life of its own until it eventually becomes true.
So many details on these stocks that incorrect facts just makes it all the more difficult.

I appreciate all good feedback,
I wish there was a good book on all this,
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogpilot View Post
Rob, All of the original NFR guns I have observed had the small ord wheel on the pistol grip and the ones without were NFR rebuilds... Not disagreeing just my personal observations...

Capt,
Your input is very welcomed.
I have found that just about the moment I think I got it, that I understand, that I have seen what I need to see......out pops something to change it all for me.
I will look specifically at NFR stocks to confirm your comment, though I am inclined to believe you are probably right.
For me, I have two original NFR and neither has the small wheel. I also have a couple rebuild NFR stocks and they also do not have the wheel.
I get to see quite few stocks when I am at the South Store rummaging thru whatever they have to sell, so will keep my eyes open.

thanks,
Rob

Last edited by Big_Red; 12-21-2015 at 11:18 PM. Reason: cleanup
Old 05-29-2015, 06:51 AM

Thanks as that was my impression regarding that particular fact as well but I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob30-06 View Post
Capt,
Your input is very welcomed.
I have found that just about the moment I think I got it, that I understand, that I have seen what I need to see......out pops something to change it all for me.
I will look specifically at NFR stocks to confirm your comment, though I am inclined to believe you are probably right.
For me, I have two original NFR and neither has the small wheel. I also have a couple rebuild NFR stocks and they also do not have the wheel.
I get to see quite few stocks when I am at the South Store rummaging thru whatever they have to sell, so will keep my eyes open.

thanks,
Rob
Capt.
Your information is correct. I double-checked a couple NFRs I had that I feel to be real and one has a strong small wheel on the heel and the other just catches the edge (but it's there).
So small wheel on EMcF, GAW, NFR then?
good stuff, just wish I could keep up with it all

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by twh1997 View Post
Where did the information regarding the small ordinance wheel being an outside contract stock come from? I have heard it before but never heard of the source.
I am in no way casting doubt on what anyone says. Just not my way.
However, I went looking back in my literature and found significant references to this stock outsourcing in Babcocks book.
I think that is where I first saw it.
Nothing about any of this is cast in stone as far as I can see.

Canfield does not really address it in his book.

With what I was told and the person who told me I am now a believer that the outsourcing story may not have been right.

Now I got to learn a new truth

Rob

Last edited by Big_Red; 12-21-2015 at 11:18 PM. Reason: merge
Old 05-29-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob30-06 View Post
Capt.
Your information is correct. I double-checked a couple NFRs I had that I feel to be real and one has a strong small wheel on the heel and the other just catches the edge (but it's there).
So small wheel on EMcF, GAW, NFR then?
good stuff, just wish I could keep up with it all

Rob

Rob,
One of the things that keeps this Garand thing so interesting is we keep finding new and neat information.

From what I have seen, the Early EMcF's didn't have the small wheel and the later ones did (plus the Proof P seems to have migrated down the pistol grip around the same time as the small wheel pops up). Most, if not all, original production GAW and NFR stocks had them...

Its refreshing to share comments and observations with fellow collectors without it turning into a gripe session or hurting peoples feelings. Kinda like the early CSP days. This "sport" is big enough for all of us!

Thanks again,

K
Old 05-29-2015, 07:06 PM

Guys, other than looking at the rifles you have in your collections, where do you go for info on characteristics of certain stocks?
Old 05-29-2015, 10:02 PM

Default EMcF stocks

1. taper clip latch cut, large or small crossed cannon stamp and without the small crossed cannon stamp on the pistol grip

2. square bottom clip latch cut and without the small crossed cannon stamp on the pistol grip

3. square bottom clip latch cut and with the small crossed cannon stamp on the pistol grip

there are approx. serial ranges for these stocks but expect some overlap