Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2016, 01:26 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1563621 View Post
On the bayo, take off the grips and give it a kroil bath, let it soak. Scabbard is a different story. It might be a little fragile. Well worth 50.

+1 for Kroil bath. Also, give the grips a wipe down with mineral spirits and, if needed, a very light coat of BLO.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1563621 View Post
On the bayo, take off the grips and give it a kroil bath, let it soak. Scabbard is a different story. It might be a little fragile. Well worth 50.
+2 on this. Soak it in Kroil and after a week or so break out the bronze wool soaked in Kroil & bring the metal back to life.

I have no idea what to try on the scabbard.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:47 PM

Regarding he scabbard, I think I would try lacquer thinner and a nylon detail brush (old tooth brush) to get rid of the white paint. You may never get rid of it all, and it may possibly remove the green as well. For the purists, it is already damaged, so the question is, will removing the white make it less valuable?
Old 02-21-2016, 09:53 AM

Default cleaning

Big bore 45 pads will do a great job on the metal without damaging it is possible to remove most rust with very little loss even on blued surfaces.

I have a 1909 SA that came out remarkably well and did the same thing to a rust 1912 S A blued bayonet.

S A and RIA didn't start parkerizing till 1918 but some bayonets in service were blued in Europe.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:43 AM

Default scabbard

You could try some blue Dawn dish soap...,apply to the painted area liberally and let it soak, but not dry out. Give a couple hours and then try a stiff brush to remove the paint. May have to repeat. This technique worked for me on a old canvas hunting jacket.., still left a discolored area but was a big improvement.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:47 AM

I recommend a product called Fluid Film rather than wd40 for the rust. It's a great product and is available at your nearest John Deere dealer. You can also use it to cure ringworm on livestock.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:04 PM

+1 to the electrolysis tank. Low voltage cell phone charger.... just did a bolo this weekend in similar shape. Low and slow is the key. It left the bluing, but the rust is gone. If you run it too hot, it will peel the finish.

http://www.homemadetools.net/electrolysis-tank-2
Old 02-23-2016, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. So far I have separated the canvas cover from the wooden liner, but have had to stop for a while. Too many vehicles in my "stead" have needed repairs lately, and I'm too cheap / frugal to send them to a shop. Hopefully I will get back to this combo soon.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:37 PM

Nice. 2 of my nicest ones were scored at pawn shops too. 1906 was first year of production.

Participating in a gun buyback program because you think criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbor has too many kids.

I WAS the proud owner of 45+ 100% A+ ratings on the old itrader system.