Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > Parts For Sale or Trade > Other > Pay It Forward... Freebies!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2017, 10:50 AM

Yeah, mine are collecting dust too. Still remember sending in for the mixed bags of 1000 stamps from the ads in the comic books in the early 60's. It was like Christmas when they arrived. Times have changed a bit.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:56 PM

My Dad used to collect stamps in the 60's and 70's. Bought the sheets of them and the Plate Blocks etc. When he passed away a few years ago my sister said I could have all of them. They were all unused. I took them out to the stamp store and asked if they wanted to buy them. They said they'd give me 70 cents on the dollar. I asked why so low. She said " we just use them for postage" So I figured I mise well use them myself and get the full postage out of them!!!!
Old 08-28-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1garand1055 View Post
My Dad used to collect stamps in the 60's and 70's. Bought the sheets of them and the Plate Blocks etc. When he passed away a few years ago my sister said I could have all of them. They were all unused. I took them out to the stamp store and asked if they wanted to buy them. They said they'd give me 70 cents on the dollar. I asked why so low. She said " we just use them for postage" So I figured I mise well use them myself and get the full postage out of them!!!!
You nailed it.

Stamp collectors are less today than us M1 collectors. Ever try to soak the new stamps to get them off the envelope.

You can not get face value for the stamps we bought in the 50, 60, 70, and even 80s. Let alone what we paid for the rare stamps.

Can not sell my stamps on ebay for what I paid. West Germany, Berlin, USA, Trieste, Old Germany, Korea, Italy, you name it.

Best thing was I had lots of fun in my collecting.

Back to the Granddad, have some stamps on the way to the granddaughters.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 08-29-2017, 02:06 PM

Default Stamps

I have a friend here that's collected all his life. He buys estates and goes to shows. He sells me the stamps he doesn't want for postage at 80% of face value. They add up to the total for a reg. stamp. They're pretty to look at and do the job. Have to lick them though.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits View Post
I have a friend here that's collected all his life. He buys estates and goes to shows. He sells me the stamps he doesn't want for postage at 80% of face value. They add up to the total for a reg. stamp. They're pretty to look at and do the job. Have to lick them though.
Just think of the licking. Today you don't have to do that.

Think of the germs on the back of the stamps. Don't know how I made it to 68 years old soaking them off the paper.

Just sent 7 lbs of stamps to some young kids. Might be from 50 nations and lots of history on each stamp.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 08-30-2017, 06:27 AM

Default Us mail

Sent a letter to Oregon today:

.25 cent state of Washington 1889

.18 cent Map of Yorktown 1781

.04 cent Oregon Statehood 1859

Total .47 cents

Works like a charm..
Old 09-02-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits View Post
Sent a letter to Oregon today:

.25 cent state of Washington 1889

.18 cent Map of Yorktown 1781

.04 cent Oregon Statehood 1859

Total .47 cents

Works like a charm..
Postage is .49 cents now. I did the same thing for about five months putting .47 cents worth of postage on my letters that I mailed until I read in our local paper that the discounted postage had went back up to .49 cents.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:16 AM

Many thanks to Medalguy and Kansas Poster for sending out enough stamps to keep the grandkids busy for a long time. I hope the hobby sticks!

Dan
Old 09-14-2017, 08:32 AM

I grew up when stamp collecting was still an active hobby in the family. Although I never became what you would call a collector, I still, to this day, cut unique (to me) stamps off envelopes and stash them in a box. Was just looking at them a couple days ago. It is the history behind them that's interesting to me.

The only ones I have that might have some value are a set I bought during the 50th anniversary of D-Day. The post office at FT. Campbell sold the sets and provided everything to send yourself, or anyone else, a letter which was sent through the USS Normandy and cancelled as a first day issue.

On the stamp sheet, the center row of stamps were all duplicates of others, so I used those to send several family members first day issue letters.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:33 PM

I have an 8 year old Cub Scout and 9 year old Girl Scout who are into stamp collecting still. Anything you can send their way would be appreciated. Will payback postage cost if you like.