Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:26 AM
milprileb milprileb is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stafford, Virginia
Posts: 2,264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1 sniper View Post
What size are the targets at 1000 yards and what's the typical accuracy? Are you just lobbing them out there for volly type fire or are there groups?
I sure won't be doing volley fire but I will report my accuracy once I shoot 1000 yds here at Quantico. Perhaps others who used to shoot M1's at this distance can comment on their accuracy (group size). Score rings are large so for me, a score doesn't tell me accuracy of rifle & load but of course scores win matches so its all opinion .
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:28 AM
milprileb milprileb is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stafford, Virginia
Posts: 2,264
Default

Gents,

Thanks for the back ground info , its exactly what I needed to begin with taking my M1 to 800 and press to 1000 yds. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-12-2017, 11:22 AM
M1 sniper M1 sniper is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
Gents,

Thanks for the back ground info , its exactly what I needed to begin with taking my M1 to 800 and press to 1000 yds. Thanks so much.
Thanks, good luck can't wait to see how you do.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Ted Brown Ted Brown is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Jacksonville, OR
Posts: 357
Default

I'm one of the old guys who actually shot 1000 Yards with an AFPG M1 on the El Paso Del Norte range back in the early 60's. I'll attest that the M1 shot very well at 1000 Yards and I still have the medal to prove it. We shot M72 ammo, LC63. I still have a couple of rounds.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-12-2017, 03:33 PM
Hey Yo' Hey Yo' is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NW USA
Posts: 321
Default

The 1K-yards folks might want to try a Varget handload using Hornady's 178gn HPBT bullets.

A few years back, Hornady reps were giving away their "Service Rifle" (SR) Load Booklet on Commercial Row at Camp Perry during the Nat'l Rifle Matches.

I have one. It covers reloading data for a variety of Hornady bullet-weights for all the SR cartridges - from 223 to 30.06. In other words, "safe" handloads for SRs, including the M1 Garand.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-12-2017, 04:40 PM
milprileb milprileb is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stafford, Virginia
Posts: 2,264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Brown View Post
I'm one of the old guys who actually shot 1000 Yards with an AFPG M1 on the El Paso Del Norte range back in the early 60's. I'll attest that the M1 shot very well at 1000 Yards and I still have the medal to prove it. We shot M72 ammo, LC63. I still have a couple of rounds.
I've had this desire to do the Garand at a Grand for 10 yrs now, I am now going to kick this can and get it done. Its good to read you had success at 1000 yds and I appreciate your posting that .
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-12-2017, 06:11 PM
echo6mike echo6mike is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Maryland, too close to DC
Posts: 52
Default

So, I did some searching and found almost this same discussion from a few years back (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=57812), that answered a couple of questions but raised some more.

It sounds like Hornady, for one, makes an M1-safe 168gr match ammo that could be used at least for club events (haven't dug into the CMP match regs). Is there a consensus on that as a good round to use? Looks like it runs about $1.25-$1.30/rd these days, which isn't bad.

How about targets? I assume those are specified in the rule I just haven't read yet, but for me I also want to find something I can use on a 100-yard range (all I normally have available) for simulating 200/300/600 yards. Any suggestions for that?

And yes, I'll go search the old threads some more, but since this is a fresh discussion...

Thanks in advance and all that!
__________________
Andy M
NRA, MSRPA, MSI, SAF
Former USMCR, still a Jarhead
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-12-2017, 06:29 PM
sakorick sakorick is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Linneus, Missouri
Posts: 341
Default

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but with a 10 MPH Xwind, the bullet drifts slightly over 10 feet in 1000 yards. I don't think there are enough clicks in a M1 Garand rear sight to move the POI 10 feet at that range. So essentially we are talking about luck here. The bullet also drops about 415 inches which is 34 feet. I rest my case.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-12-2017, 06:53 PM
stripper clip stripper clip is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo6mike View Post
So, I did some searching and found almost this same discussion from a few years back (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=57812), that answered a couple of questions but raised some more.

It sounds like Hornady, for one, makes an M1-safe 168gr match ammo that could be used at least for club events (haven't dug into the CMP match regs). Is there a consensus on that as a good round to use? Looks like it runs about $1.25-$1.30/rd these days, which isn't bad.

How about targets? I assume those are specified in the rule I just haven't read yet, but for me I also want to find something I can use on a 100-yard range (all I normally have available) for simulating 200/300/600 yards. Any suggestions for that?

And yes, I'll go search the old threads some more, but since this is a fresh discussion...

Thanks in advance and all that!

From what I've read, the 168 grain bullet generally won't stay supersonic at 1000 yards due to the B.C. of the bullet. Therefore, the 173 grain, 175 grain Sierra, or the 178 grain Hornady; the ballistic coefficients are better. The old 1000 yard bullseye targets I have are 6'x6' with a 48" bull. The M-1 should be fun at that distance. I've never shot the Garand out to 1000, but rather one of my 1918 Rock Island M1903's.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-12-2017, 07:15 PM
canes7 canes7 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakorick View Post
I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but with a 10 MPH Xwind, the bullet drifts slightly over 10 feet in 1000 yards. I don't think there are enough clicks in a M1 Garand rear sight to move the POI 10 feet at that range. So essentially we are talking about luck here. The bullet also drops about 415 inches which is 34 feet. I rest my case.
I dont want to rain on your parade but the M1, collectively, has probably put 100's of thousands of rounds into targets at 1k yards. A few posts up you'll read first hand accounts of it.

I've not fired a Garand at 1k, but I have with an M14. It was fun and challenging. You should try it.
__________________
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan W.
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.