Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2017, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Default CMP and New U.S. Jacket Distributor Resolve Illegal Shooting Jacket Issue

CMP and New U.S. Jacket Distributor Resolve Illegal Shooting Jacket Issue - There has been a great deal of discussion in the past year about competitors wearing shooting jackets that, in the opinion of the CMP Rules Committee, have provided an inordinate amount of support, particularly advantageous for use in the rifle standing position. While the CMP is sympathetic to the need for vendors to compete for the equipment dollar, it is incumbent upon the organization to monitor and regulate the use of equipment that preserves the integrity of the sport. Read the complete article at http://thecmp.org/cmp-and-new-u-s-ja...-jacket-issue/.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:20 PM

What about the $200.00 estimate to get into compliance? Why doesn't CMP come up with this cost? If not the actual dollars how about credit to be used to pay for the match fees?
Old 10-31-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike308 View Post
Why doesn't CMP come up with this cost?
That's really funny !!!!!
Old 11-05-2017, 08:36 PM

Only funny to you. $800.00 custom jacket legal for 3 years now I have to modify for some unexplained reason. Kinda sucks big time.

Last edited by Mike308; 11-05-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Only funny to you. $800.00 custom jacket legal for 3 years now I have to modify for some unexplained reason. Kinda sucks big time.
Mike, I'm really sorry that you paid a lot of money for a shooting jacket and now have to pay even more to make it acceptable for use in future CMP competition. However, it is pretty amusing that you expect that the CMP should reimburse you for the required modifications. I just don't see that ever happening. Unfortunately we all incur some risk that equipment we purchase for any type of competition might be deemed unacceptable at some time in the future. Of course, we all hope that this won't happen to us. I have theorized that it is more likely to occur the closer to the "outside of the envelope" that we go. Again, I'm sorry you have to shell out more money.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:42 PM

Main reason it gauls me is that the rule appears to be pure opinion not backed up by any real data. My offhand hand has not changed. The biggest change I've found and nearly everyone I've asked is the comfort of the fit. My jacket fits.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
= I have to modify for some unexplained reason.
Would it be OK if I shoot offhand while leaning against a real fence post?
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)
Old 11-14-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Main reason it gauls me is that the rule appears to be pure opinion not backed up by any real data. My offhand hand has not changed. The biggest change I've found and nearly everyone I've asked is the comfort of the fit. My jacket fits.
Mike, Everyone likes to see that decisions are data driven but that's not always possible or even necessary. Meaningful data is not always possible to acquire - at least not in an efficient manner. Also, sometimes there are obvious indicators that something is significantly different than other items of the same type. If the CMP found that the material of a specific jacket was much stiffer than other jackets, it would be reasonable to assume that it provides more support than the rest of the jackets on the market. I'm not suggesting that this was the criteria they based their decision on but it is a likely scenario.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:19 AM

Scuttlebutt was the USAMU showed up with them one season and then the problems started.

Mike
Old 11-15-2017, 08:39 AM

If it looks like a crutch, acts like a crutch and is marketed as being a crutch.....

There will always be a small percentage of people trying to improve their performance by bending or flat out breaking the rules. If they get away with it, the rest of the herd will follow.

If the rule makers, match directors and range officers do not shut this sort of thing down, the sport will be degraded slowly but surely.

As I see it, the governing organizations should have banned the Creedmoor hardback based simply on the way it was marketed ("like leaning against a fence post"). This even if the hardback was 100% marketing BS and provided zero additional support in offhand. It was the camels nose under the tent.

I remember when people engaged in this sport primarily for the fun of it.
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)