Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
Sounds good but during the Vintage Sniper Rifle Team Match, there is only one shooter in the pits at a time. It's hard to team up pullers when there is only one of them per target. The CMP offers clinics for new shooters. Perhaps more should take advantage of them.
Only one team member in the pits was true in the past, but for the recent Vintage Sniper Match 2017, the format was similar to the Hurst Doubles where 3 teams squad at each firing point and 1 complete team (both members) are sent to the pits each time.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j634 View Post
Only one team member in the pits was true in the past, but for the recent Vintage Sniper Match 2017, the format was similar to the Hurst Doubles where 3 teams squad at each firing point and 1 complete team (both members) are sent to the pits each time.
That does seem like a better format.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:00 PM

I totally agree. My opinion, it was the best idea the CMP had and a great change to the format. I have friends that want to participate in the Vintage Sniper but didn't register since they are getting up in age and have trouble working the pits. With 2 people in the pits at one firing point, they can feel better since they will have help lowering the targets.

I hope the CMP keeps the 3 team format for the Vintage Sniper match for the reason 2 people can work the pits much more efficiently and without exhausting one puller.

But in the future with electronic targets, the same will be achieved with no one going to the pits. So maybe 3 teams just when pit service is required.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j634 View Post
I totally agree. My opinion, it was the best idea the CMP had and a great change to the format. I have friends that want to participate in the Vintage Sniper but didn't register since they are getting up in age and have trouble working the pits. With 2 people in the pits at one firing point, they can feel better since they will have help lowering the targets.

I hope the CMP keeps the 3 team format for the Vintage Sniper match for the reason 2 people can work the pits much more efficiently and without exhausting one puller.

But in the future with electronic targets, the same will be achieved with no one going to the pits. So maybe 3 teams just when pit service is required.
I agree - it can be difficult for some folks to operate the targets without some assistance due to physical limitations. It is a shame when someone does not participate due to those limitations. I am confident that the electronic targets will address a number of issues. One is what you mentioned relative to the physical limitations of some shooters and another is the issues with poor pit service due to inexperienced pullers which was brought up in this thread. I have high hopes for the future.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:18 PM

It is definitely better with 2 people than 1, the balance and glide on the new carriers is awful. But it wouldn't matter if it was just 1 new person in the pits, or scoring on the firing line, they need to be told what the procedure is. How would you like to hear your scorer say "I really wanted to give you an X, but I just couldn't" when the scoring disc is showing an X, but he is scoring according to what he thinks he sees in his spotting scope????
Old 10-06-2017, 04:13 PM

Having shot it both ways (2 men in pits at Nationals 2017, and electronic targets at New England Games), I would say (obviously) the E-Targets are the way to go. So much quicker and no waiting for everyone to get back and forth the 600 yards.

But I could not imagine being alone in the pits and throwing that target frame up and down every 20 seconds for 40 minutes. Oh, and score it also.....
Old 10-08-2017, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

That can get to be a problem when the shots are all over the target.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 10-08-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGaskill View Post
That can get to be a problem when the shots are all over the target.
True. But there is no good reason that you cannot pull, mark, paste and score, on your own in about 8 seconds, if you are dilly dallying. If you have to LOOK all over them obviously stress is involved and a 2nd set of eyes is invaluable.

Perry is unigue with no berm to gauge impact location off of and Viale carriers are not getting any easier to run on your own. There is a REASON I do everything in my power to shoot all of board week on Rodriguez for every match fired on it that I am participating in.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Old 10-26-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
True. But there is no good reason that you cannot pull, mark, paste and score, on your own in about 8 seconds, if you are dilly dallying. If you have to LOOK all over them obviously stress is involved and a 2nd set of eyes is invaluable.

Perry is unigue with no berm to gauge impact location off of and Viale carriers are not getting any easier to run on your own. There is a REASON I do everything in my power to shoot all of board week on Rodriguez for every match fired on it that I am participating in.

absolutely I agree 100%