Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2017, 12:59 PM

Default Vintage Weaver K-series reticule

I've got a Weaver K3 scope, one of the old steel tube ones. It has standard crosshairs, but I'm thinking I want something different like the "German post reticle".

I know about Iron Sight Inc., and they would probably be perfect save for the 15-18 month turn-around time. Could anyone recommend a service to change the reticle on an old Weaver or am I out of luck here?
Old 10-06-2017, 01:28 PM

Is the German post and crosshair the type where the post subtends ABOVE the horizontal hair?

I could never figure out how to use that sight picture!

I prefer the duplex hair myself.

Does the old Weaver have the plain ole' "60" stamping or the newer "60-B" stamping on the rear of the tube? (The 60-B will keep the crosshair centered.)
Old 10-06-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Is the German post and crosshair the type where the post subtends ABOVE the horizontal hair?
I could never figure out how to use that sight picture! [...]
I know huh? A friend of mine has one of these, but I could never understand why the vertical post doesn't terminate at the horizontal crosshairs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
[...] Does the old Weaver have the plain ole' "60" stamping or the newer "60-B" stamping on the rear of the tube? (The 60-B will keep the crosshair centered.)
Interesting; I knew of the two variations but didn't know that was the 60 vs 60-B terminology. Thx,
Old 10-06-2017, 03:25 PM

You ignore the cross wire and pretend it is a front sight. Buy a K3 with post reticle off ebay. Any rework of a K scope will take forever and cost more than the scope. Good Shooting. ..
Old 10-07-2017, 05:19 PM

That's what I was worried about. I'll have to take a look at what's available on a buyitnow basis. I've got two K3s, one that needs to be rebuilt so I may just send that one in and forget about it for a year and a half, and use the normal cross hairs one in the meanwhile.

That being said, as far as aiming the post, at least when I play WWII video games with sniper rifle with that style scope, I always disregard the horizontal wire and treat it as a single post. Whether or not that's right in real life shooting, I cannot say. I just liked the look.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:23 PM

Regarding the post-type reticle: Do the elevation adjustments w/ that Weaver simply move the fine horizontal crosshair, or the vertical post as well?
Old 10-07-2017, 11:42 PM

Everything moves. Good Shooting. .

Tags
k-series, scope, weaver