X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don in SC
    • Oct 2009

M1917 hand Guard Question

Anyone know if Cherry Wood was used to manufacture front hand guards, I've got one that does not look quite right for Walnut and is not birch. Looks very much like the Cherry used in M1 Carbines in color and texture.
  • Calif-Steve
    • Nov 2009

Not sure about cherry wood, but black walnut and satin walnut were used in WW1 production.

Comment

• Don in SC
      • Oct 2009

I've cut enough Sweet Gum to build the Ark two times over, I could believe it's Sweet Gum. Thanks.

Comment

• robh5
        • Mar 2014

The only 2 woods I've ever seen used for the front hand guards were walnut and birch.

Comment

• pickax
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by robh5 View Post
          The only 2 woods I've ever seen used for the front hand guards were walnut and birch.
          Yes, I believe some WWII replacement stocks and guards were birch or beech.
          Rob has certainly seen them!

Comment

• Don in SC
            • Oct 2009

I'm familiar with the Birch hand guards, still have a couple in the parts stash, the one I'm questioning has the color of Walnut but the texture more like Yellow Tulip/Poplar wood. Sweet Gum is very similar in over all texture to Poplar so that would make the most logical choice.

Comment

• Det. Jason 714
              • Oct 2009

Can you post some pics?
              "Let Freedom PING!"

Comment

• Carriec
                • Dec 2013

Interesting....have I found a new use for the 50 sweet gum trees that I am always cleaning up after? I can't even burn them in the winter.

Comment

• Don in SC
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Det. Jason 714 View Post
                  Can you post some pics?
                  going to start a new threat, doubt you'll be able to tell from the photo which hand guard as the color is fine, matches well, but the texture/grain is not Walnut.

Comment

Working...
                  X