Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodydenny View Post
If the majority of these came from the rebuild program, I would assume most would be 1911A1. When did the Army drop the 1911? I know the marines held on to them longer. If there are 1911's in the batch,we've all seein those arsenal rebuild stamped pistols with little trigger,arched mainspring housing,and plastic grips. They're likely to be indistinguishable for people doing the sorting.
There could be 1911s rebuilt into 1911A1s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1911admin View Post
Until the CMP 1911 Armory is completed we can not inventory what the Army is giving us. PLEASE PEOPLE lets not start rumors/bad info on things you know nothing about.
I agree with the sentiment, but until we get the hard facts, speculation is all we got. Admonishing people for speculation in the absence of facts is like trying to stop the tide with only a bucket. Right now all we have is one good, but too short, article from the American rifleman, and a few tidbits that have dribbled out from the CMP. I realize there are limits to what you can and can't do, but the best deterrent to incorrect rumors is true and correct data.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTN View Post
The odds you get a 1911 in the lottery are about nil. Any that exist will be auctioned.
I thought 1911,s were the ones that came separated from the Army's museum stock in the shipment and the rest were 1911A1,s from what id read someplace so I think your right about them being auctioned
Old 06-12-2018, 12:43 PM

Used to have a mint condition REMINGTON RAND M1911A1 (Serial # 2401192) that I paid $312.50 for on 03/26/81 ($841.54 in 2017 dollars)...

BUT...

Thanks to my naive kids (then 15 & 16), it was burgled (along with the rest of my guns) by a bunch of drug dealers back on 04/30/97!!!

All of my guns, other than my M1911A1 & two others, were recovered by the Willmar, MN PD and returned (a little worse for wear & abuse)!!!

Sure would like to replace it with a service grade REMINGTON RAND or COLT M1911A1!!!

Don't much give a damn if it's mint or rebuilt, since most any M1911A1 coming from the military in this day and age has been thru three wars (in service, in a crate, or in an arms room) and has had a few parts replaced here and there!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifle guy View Post
In a perfect world I will be chosen #1 and be able to buy an all correct late run Remington Rand SG 1911A1. Now that my dream is over I will consider myself lucky if my name is pulled at all! I certainly didn't want to start anything here just thought that I may have missed something. Wouldn't be the first time!

My thanks to all for their input.

rifle guy

Last edited by DDRode; 06-13-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:46 PM

Default Being Picked #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifle guy View Post
In a perfect world I will be chosen #1 and be able to buy an all correct late run Remington Rand SG 1911A1. Now that my dream is over I will consider myself lucky if my name is pulled at all! I certainly didn't want to start anything here just thought that I may have missed something. Wouldn't be the first time!

My thanks to all for their input.

rifle guy
The only time Iíve ever gotten #1 in a large lottery was Dec. 1, 1969, Vietnam draft lottery! Fortunately I was not yet 18 ...
Old 06-12-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdomingue View Post
I think that would fall into the yellow sticky realm, except it very likely the person in shipping doesn't know the difference.
???

What in CMP's history suggests this will be the case with CMP1911?
Remember, the pistols will be opened, inspected and graded, and presumably identified and placed on racks or containers for transfer to the shipping area.
Or do you picture a halfway house with day laborers placing the next pistol from the pile into the shipping box without any review of paperwork?

Some of you guys are really overthinking this.
Have you ever met any employees of the CMP? Any idea why most work there?

Yikes.....
JH
Old 06-12-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
???

What in CMP's history suggests this will be the case with CMP1911?
Remember, the pistols will be opened, inspected and graded, and presumably identified and placed on racks or containers for transfer to the shipping area.
Or do you picture a halfway house with day laborers placing the next pistol from the pile into the shipping box without any review of paperwork?

Some of you guys are really overthinking this.
Have you ever met any employees of the CMP? Any idea why most work there?

Yikes.....
JH

We do not yet know how they will be tagged or what information will be on the tag, but it is unlikely (speculation on my part) that the tag will have the distinction of 1911 or 1911A1. A knowledgeable person would be able to discern if the frame is a 1911 or 1911A1, by either the way it looks or where the serial number falls. But to expect the person in shipping to be knowledgeable of the distinctions is expecting a lot. I doubt seriously that the job description in shipping requires the person to be an expert armorer or weapons historian. Not everybody that works for the CMP is a gun enthusiast.

From what has been put out by the CMP, the guns will be broken up into 4 groups: Rack Grade, Field Grade, Service Grade, and Auction. Other than the auction guns, they are not even selling by manufacture. Which is appropriate, since in many cases the frame and the slide (plus all the other parts) may not be from the same manufacture. Unlike an M1, the Serial number and the manufacture name are not on the same part.

Last edited by krdomingue; 06-13-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:43 PM

Still plan to mail packet and take a chance. Will definately not get one if I don't send it in. Mfg. doesn't matter to me. Just happy we have a chance.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywash View Post
Still plan to mail packet and take a chance. Will definately not get one if I don't send it in. Mfg. doesn't matter to me. Just happy we have a chance.
Same here.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 06-13-2018, 07:32 AM

I would get tired of the same questions over and over as well. Especially with the answers posted here.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:05 AM

Dealing with customers? That is customer service. While I've never had anything other than pleasant experiences with the CMP staff, I don't think this is the proper venue for snarky replies that I'm sure are bounced back and forth amongst staff and probably for good reason.
That said, my faith in the effort being put forth to pull this off has never been higher and can't wait for the fun this fall.