Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2018, 11:54 PM

Default Best stock for boosting accuracy?

Hello all,
I'm new to the M14/M1A world, and am looking for the best way to boost accuracy without adding weight. So, my basic question is: What stock would be the best to use in order to maximize accuracy? Or, what would be the best modification to a plain jane USGI birch stock to boost the accuracy?

From the research I've done, I've found a few options:

-Synthetic stock such as archangel M14 stock
-SAGE chassis
-Bedding a USGI stock. If done, is it like a garand where you should not remove the stock once it's bedded?

Any recommendations are appreciated. Looking to maximize the potential of this sweet rifle.

THanks.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:42 AM

There are many improvements that can be done.

1. Practice, practice , and more practice with a lot of dry firing in between will show the most results of anything you can do to your rifle.
2. Repeat #1.
3. Installation of quality barrel
4. Unitizing gas cylinder.
5. Trigger job.
6. op rod spring guide.
7. polishing stock ferule and greasing in area of front band contact.
5. NM sight installation.
6. Stock bedding.

Then if you don't mind some weight addition, and for the best your rifle can be, add a JAE chassis. Heavy, but outperforms any others that I have tried.

Semper Fi
Art

Last edited by nf1e; 06-25-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:54 AM

"what stock?" Not an expert, but dropping a recent SA M1A (with the cheap plastic buttstock) into one of those old US GI wood stocks with all the NM bedding, mods and cutouts for the night sight dramatically reduced group size from 6-7" to 2" at 200yds. Good Shooting. ..
Old 06-25-2018, 06:51 PM

I would suggest establishing a baseline.
How does the rifle group now? And is shrinking the group best done by putting work into the shooter or the rifle?
If bedding it will take the 7" groups to 6", but some instruction, practice and methodology will take the 7" groups to 4", why bed it?
I thought I was a pretty good shooter until I got professional instruction. Now I know better. And shoot much better.
Same rifles.

JH
Old 06-25-2018, 07:06 PM

The OP asks a technical question and the answer is to tell him he needs to learn how to shoot?? Good Shooting. ..
Old 06-25-2018, 08:54 PM

The key is to get a good solid stock that fits well and locks up tight. I would suggest avoiding a new"standard" SAI plastic stock. I would also avoid a well worn, loose GI stock.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:59 PM

No harm, no foul. It's been a while since I've been able to regularly hit the range, so practice and technique is high up there, I understand. In the meantime, I'd like to maximize potential of the rifle, which, from what I understand is best accomplished by starting with the stock. I'm a newbie to the M14, so advice is appreciated.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:11 PM

The best stock for serious, consistent accuracy has always been the glass bedded McMillan.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedbwo View Post
In the meantime, I'd like to maximize potential of the rifle, which, from what I understand is best accomplished by starting with the stock. I'm a newbie to the M14, so advice is appreciated.
I have always said that the two most important things that affect accuracy in an M1 or M14 rifle are the barrel and the stock so you are at least attacking half of the potential issues. As with most things, stocks are one of those things where there are diminishing returns. It is good to start out with a good solid stock but you can find yourself spending a fortune when pursuing the "best" stock which only offers marginal gains over a good solid stock - especially when there are other issues which might confound the added value of an expensive stock. Remember that the source of error which has the greatest effect dominates the equation. As you improve on the dominant source of error, another one takes its place. It is best not to become obsessed with one factor once you've improved that factor.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:59 PM

A good solid stock with tight lock IS the best stock. Excellent advice given. McM, JAE, Archangel stocks are good stock. I Learned on wood. The guys who helped along the way use wood. I’ve see some pretty beat up stocks on match rifles, but they were used regularly.