Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 05:35 AM

Default sa

why doesn't the cmp make an m1 in 308 in service grade..1250.00 is too high to pay at the current market.too close to an m1a loaded and more than the bm59..a service grade 308 would sell like hotcakes
Old 01-05-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeyedave View Post
why doesn't the cmp make an m1 in 308 in service grade..1250.00 is too high to pay at the current market.too close to an m1a loaded and more than the bm59..a service grade 308 would sell like hotcakes
What makes you think they don't sell like hotcakes at the price they are now????? If you think they are to expensive go buy a M1a ,a all commercial parts rifle
Old 01-05-2019, 11:21 AM

I must be missing something, do you mean take a service grade M1 and screw on a new .308 barrel?

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 01-05-2019, 12:32 PM

no reason to assume anything..a lot of people like the 308 and I see no reason why the cmp couldn't sell a service grade m1 in 308 at a cheaper price than 1250.00. the m1 garand is in my opinion the best military rifle ever made and since the 30-06 was replaced by the 7.62x51 I can't think of any reason why it should not be sold as a 7.62x51. the history of the m1 garand will always be there no matter of what caliber its chambered for.back in the day a garand from cmp would cost 250.00 and that very same gun will sell from 1000.00 to 2000.00 just because people are greedy and the demand is continuing to keep going up.. I personally feel that any rifle from the cmp should not be put up for resale.your allowed 2 a year and after 20 years a person accumulates 40 rifles and builds up a nice retirement bundle..no sense in anybody getting upset these are my opinions and mine alone
Old 01-05-2019, 12:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Give it time, they may come back after the IHC & WRA .308's are gone. CMP have had them before. I believe they were $1050....
Old 01-05-2019, 01:10 PM

You can always buy as many service grades as you want, screw on some new .308 barrels and sell them for whatever you want.

Seeing as how CMP sells the specials as quickly as they make them that tells me the price is not "too high", but that, of course, is my opinion.
You can't compare it to the M14s because, the M1 is the greatest rifle ever made.
My guess is that as the rifle is now somewhat altered (less "correct"), you may as well zero-time it and do a full rebuild. Were I to spend the money on a 308 Garand I'd go for the new look (and performance), but understand why a vintage option would be desired.

Just curious, as CMP's mission has nothing about "ensuring the maximum number of people possess M1s" and obviously would incur significant expense by artificially limiting rifle sales (to stretch out sales over 20 years means quite the storage fee), why "should" they limit Garands to 2/year?
Are you suggesting it is undesirable for me to sell a Garand today for market value knowing I paid less for it in the past?

Respectfully;
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 01-07-2019, 03:51 PM

The big thing at the moment is that they're using WRA and IHC receivers in the specials. I think those receivers are better served with USGI barrels and stocks, I don't see the reason for one with the repro stocks and new barrels.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:52 AM

Bought my first CMP rifle in April, 2001... a Mossberg US44 with a nice Lyman 57MS rear sight. Total cost with shipping was $95. Since then I've purchased at least 8 more rifles and NONE have been sold.

I do see a very good reason to have the "Special" Garands in both .308 and 30-06. They are as close to a new, unissued rifle as most of us will ever see. The Criterion barrels are accurate and the new black walnut stocks are attractive. There are more than enough collectible Garands for those who don't want a "Special". I have both and am happy with all of them.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:21 PM

Back in the days of the DCM, purchases of M1 Rifles were limited to 1 per person per lifetime. The program was meant to promote marksmanship and competition shooting. You couldn't even sell the one you had unless you got permission from the Army to do so as they originally claimed to retain an interest in the rifle. It was expected that upon your death, the rifle would be returned even the Army had no intention of ever reclaiming them. Later with the CMP, the stores of M1's were not reducing as a very large rate even with them selling initially at $95.00. The agreement with the Dept. of the Army was updated and more quantities were permitted and some people got into the business of buying for the purposes of re selling them to make some money. Bottom line was dollars and cents and moving out weapons our military would never be putting back into service.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
no reason to assume anything..a lot of people like the 308 and I see no reason why the cmp couldn't sell a service grade m1 in 308 at a cheaper price than 1250.00. the m1 garand is in my opinion the best military rifle ever made and since the 30-06 was replaced by the 7.62x51 I can't think of any reason why it should not be sold as a 7.62x51. the history of the m1 garand will always be there no matter of what caliber its chambered for.back in the day a garand from cmp would cost 250.00 and that very same gun will sell from 1000.00 to 2000.00 just because people are greedy and the demand is continuing to keep going up.. I personally feel that any rifle from the cmp should not be put up for resale.your allowed 2 a year and after 20 years a person accumulates 40 rifles and builds up a nice retirement bundle..no sense in anybody getting upset these are my opinions and mine alone
I understand your viewpoint. My main guess is that .308 can shoot the 7.62 nato round and a 308 vs just the 7.62. Also, with only 2 rifles per person the inventory may move too slowly to get more rifles back from overseas. That means more rifles poorly stored outside the US and less money going to the CMP to promote its mission. More rifles sold means more money going to promote marksmanship training. Also, less inventory going in and out means less of the a chance for everyone to get a shot at the more collectible ones. I did not know about the CMP before a couple years ago, you never know when they might not be allowed to sell the rifles so I would rather have them getting out to people that want them. Just my thoughts, always willing to hear out other viewpoints.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Closed Thread