Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2019, 02:08 PM

Default Hi Lux Malcolm 8X issues

I'm kind of fishing for some help here. I purchased a Hi Lux Malcolm 8X for a sniper replica, sent in all my rifle parts to Chuck in Denver, and put the scope on the mounts myself when he sent the rifle back. A retirement and a move stalled my project for about six months, and including Chuck's time, I probably started this a little over a year ago.

After getting it all assembled, it was 3' off at 25 yards and wouldn't sight in. I sent the rifle and scope to Chuck recently, and he found a bend in it. I called Hi Lux and they have offered to sell me another one for $482, which adding in shipping is about $10 or so less than I can buy a new one.

I cannot for the life of me find where I bought this scope at (still working on that), which is Hi Lux's out in covering it in warranty.

Is there anyone out there that is reputable and can fix this issue, or am I stuck with purchasing a new one and watching this one sit on the shelf?
Old 01-09-2019, 02:15 PM

Default Hmmmm..

Ya might be SOL (IMHO)
Old 01-09-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Kerley View Post
I sent the rifle and scope to Chuck recently, and he found a bend in it.
Completely serious here - so any way to bend it the other way? There might be a way to put it in a jig and apply enough pressure to put it close to where it needs to be? Wonder if there's anyone out there that does this type of optical repair?
Old 01-09-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_robin View Post
Completely serious here - so any way to bend it the other way? There might be a way to put it in a jig and apply enough pressure to put it close to where it needs to be? Wonder if there's anyone out there that does this type of optical repair?
I am waiting on a return call from one of their Tech's now, and I'm going to ask about a repair or whatever other option.

I was awfully frustrated, but I'm certain the lady told me if it didn't come directly from them, the warranty was not good. That was after I told her I thought I had purchased it from Amazon. After I told her the box had zero damage, she told me if the box was stored leaning, it could have bent it. I am having a hard time with that one.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:51 PM

I the scope is bent in the middle, downwards, and at the end just at the bell to the left.
I spent a day, messing with the bases, and the indexing of the barrel.
keep in mind, after I set the bases in place. before I high temp them in place, I bore sight the scope {centered} adjusting index is sometimes needed to get that done.
these scopes dont have very much adjustment travel, as much as we would thing they would. so when I sent this home originally it was bore sighted , and ready for range tuning,
to get this scope back in line, it required .090 of shims, on the front base, out of over 200 of these installs, have never ever had to shim a base.
it baked my noodle.
so I removed the scope, sat it on my tool box, sat back and scratched my head.
I looked up and spotted the issue...
scope Is bent like a taco.
so.
I used my Lyman super spot, {centered} re set the bases in place, zeroed the whole deal, and called C kerley.
I talked with Hi Lux as well...I plan on calling them again, to see what they can do. can it be straightened? that may be what needs to happen.
as for the warranty?
every major scope maker on the market offers a lifetime warranty, doesn't matter if it was purchased new, or second hand.. its a life time warranty,
Leupold has played games with this. and ended up making good on it..
any product sold today, is only as good as the company behind it.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:19 PM

You'd think that they would have all the parts to build a scope and that they could just pull a new tube off the shelf and transfer all of the parts from the old tube to the new tube. Even if they normally do the assembly work overseas, it would be dumb not to have a supply of all of the parts on hand.

I'd expect that they could do this for free, even if out of their warranty. You might just need to talk to the right person, who cares about customer satisfaction.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:23 PM

update.
I just got off the phone with Chris at Hi Lux.
after some talking, he has agreed to try and repair, or replace the scope with a refurb model.
personally I dont think this scope can be straightened, usually a bend were the lens is attached stretches the metal, and its a done deal.
they are emailing me an RPO. and the scope will be sent back to the factory.
my response was. any product or service offered today, is only as good as the support behind it. he agreed..
Old 01-09-2019, 03:34 PM

About all I can add is wow. Folks, I just got off the phone with Chuck where I heard all the details, and I can't say enough good about him helping me. Just wow.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:28 PM

Them not covering the warnty becuse you didnt buy from them sounds like BS to me. Here is a copy of the warranty card that comes in the scope. If you sent it in you should be covered. I just got mine and was just about to fill out.

Lux https://imgur.com/gallery/SWTgFmc
Old 01-09-2019, 05:40 PM

the fact that you need to fill out the card, and send it in.. gives them an out.
as well as doing it 10 days from the purchase date.
im not a lawer.
but...if they wanted to tell anyone SOL. this is a way out.
not many will actually fill out the card and send it in.
but will be quick to call with a warranty issue when it comes up.
iv learned , if its mine, and im going to use it.. fill it out, send it in, take a copy of it..
purchase of a Drier with a life time warranty. cured me of this.
went out within 2 years of purchase.
I called them, they asked if I had sent in the proof or purchase with the warranty card. as they didn't have it on file.
so...yes, I did. and heres the copy..
ok.. will have someone right out to fix it..
had I not. I would have been SOL