Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2019, 08:30 PM

Default 1903A3 advise needed

I recently acquired an A3 that was "sporterized". The extent was, the gun was polished and blued, the bolt polished to the white and the military stock swapped out for a nice target stock with a high comb. That's it. I can't decide if I should leave it as is or reparkerize it and put it in a military stock
Opinions?
Old 01-15-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
I recently acquired an A3 that was "sporterized". The extent was, the gun was polished and blued, the bolt polished to the white and the military stock swapped out for a nice target stock with a high comb. That's it. I can't decide if I should leave it as is or reparkerize it and put it in a military stock
Opinions?
Got a pic? I'm in the same boat... two different rifles, both with NICE stocks. I'll post pics in a second, but my plan originally was to convert 1 to a A4 tribute, leave the other as-is. Both have some really nice turned down bolts custom to the stock, so I hate to wreck someone's art.

Here's my two - https://imgur.com/a/M7bCa7Y

Last edited by eric_robin; 01-15-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:02 PM

You would be well advised to leave the rifle as is. A rifle that has been refinished is considered to have no original finish. And duplicating the original appearance after the rifle has been heavily polished is nearly impossible. And from a financial standpoint, you will lose almost all your investment. The restored rifle will be worth little more than it is right now.

If you want a nice original M'03-A3, then find one that's already like you want it.

Good Luck!

J.B.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:19 AM

I too would leave it alone as there’s nothing more apparent to the trained eye than a reparkerized Sporter. Most of these guns suffered a heavy hand in polishing for their blue jobs, and that is something that can never be erased or hidden. But there’s absolutely nothing wrong with a good 03 Sporter as a hunting tool and, as more are being destroyed in the name of “restoration”, as a rapidly disappearing and important aspect of the 03’s history. Keep it as it is as everyone’s 03 collection should contain at least one example of a Sporter and yours sounds to nice to destroy.

Last edited by S99VG; 01-16-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
You would be well advised to leave the rifle as is. A rifle that has been refinished is considered to have no original finish. And duplicating the original appearance after the rifle has been heavily polished is nearly impossible. And from a financial standpoint, you will lose almost all your investment. The restored rifle will be worth little more than it is right now.

If you want a nice original M'03-A3, then find one that's already like you want it.

Good Luck!

J.B.
So reparking isn't going to hurt it's value, and isn't going to improve it either is what your saying?
Old 01-16-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
So reparking isn't going to hurt it's value, and isn't going to improve it either is what your saying?
Yes.

J.B.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Opinions?
Just my 2%...…
Leave it alone.
Spending the money to repark it just means you have a reparked sporter……
So you'll put money into it and not get it back out...…
Atleast the sporter (blued) will look nice...…….
Old 01-16-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
J.B.'s answer to this was no, but that is just his opinion, which in this case, I disagree with.

Haven't seen hebes rifle, so can't comment on it, but in some cases a repark can absolutely help with value. If your putting together a faux A4, and the receiver and barrel is blued, park it. Hell, park all the parts so they will match.

It's no different than what all these other companies selling faux A4's is doing. Get the right guy to park it and it would look better than those. It will help with value, should you ever decide to sell it.

Mike
Old 01-16-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Just my 2%...…
Leave it alone.
Spending the money to repark it just means you have a reparked sporter……
So you'll put money into it and not get it back out...…
Atleast the sporter (blued) will look nice...…….
Reparking it would be free So I'm not concerned about that. Thanks for all the input guys.
Here's a picture of the old girl. I threw it in stock I had laying around. Its a terrible picture, I need to get better at taking gun pictures

A3 sporter https://imgur.com/gallery/Ujoq4cq
Old 01-16-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
J.B.'s answer to this was no, but that is just his opinion, which in this case, I disagree with.

Haven't seen hebes rifle, so can't comment on it, but in some cases a repark can absolutely help with value. If your putting together a faux A4, and the receiver and barrel is blued, park it. Hell, park all the parts so they will match.

It's no different than what all these other companies selling faux A4's is doing. Get the right guy to park it and it would look better than those. It will help with value, should you ever decide to sell it.

Mike
Your response is exactly why I'm torn. It looks decent now but parkerizing looks good too. I was just curious what others thought about it. I'd hate to drill and tap a gun that has not all ready been completly runied
How much was James river selling their drill rifles, with the terrible zinc parkerizing, for?