Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2019, 10:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
Your love of Varget is certainly noted. There are other powders (as stated in this thread and is the reason for this thread ) that are equal to it for long range precision shooting...or short range for that matter.

Niche as an adjective means having specialized appeal. Varget is just that, mainly because cheer leaders for it always paint it as "The Powder". Well, it is not and this thread throws light on that.

I have made it abundantly clear, even to the most casual observer, that other powders can bring in long range accuracy.

You disagree ? Post a thread stating why Varget is "Best"...otherwise, move on .
The whole "best" thing is a red herring, perpetuated by newcomers who don't want to find their own way. It's like asking which is the best woman, blonde, brunette, redhead?

I have loaded excellent ammunition for 5.56 (.223), 7.62 (.308), and .30-06 with just about every appropriate powder. If you asked me which is "best," I would answer "yes."

Which do I use most? In order, Varget, IMR 4064, RL15. Why? Can't say. They all work.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 05-22-2019, 02:14 PM

More Varget for the rest of us.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
More Varget for the rest of us.
This is what was thinking.

And I have plenty.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Your love of Varget is certainly noted. There are other powders (as stated in this thread and is the reason for this thread ) that are equal to it for long range precision shooting...or short range for that matter.

Niche as an adjective means having specialized appeal. Varget is just that, mainly because cheer leaders for it always paint it as "The Powder". Well, it is not and this thread throws light on that.

I have made it abundantly clear, even to the most casual observer, that other powders can bring in long range accuracy.

You disagree ? Post a thread stating why Varget is "Best"...otherwise, move on .
No, I don't disagree. I never claimed that Varget was the best. Either you're trying to stir things up (troll), or you have a reading comprehension problem.

For reference, H4895 is within five dollars of the cost of Varget for 8 pounds at Powder Valley. Oddly, they have loads of Varget right now and no H4895. I consider them the reference price for powder. If you're shooting through "47 pounds" of powder a year and you're worried about five dollars in the context of the cost of barrels, bullets, so on, you may not understand the math that well.

When it comes to shooting service rifle or palma rifle, there is really no need to find your own way. Reloading for these disciplines is not really an exercise in creativity. Working up loads in a myriad of powders will not win matches for these disciplines. For my other high quality rifles, I use a variety of powders. Not coincidentally, if I use a powder of correct burn speed, my high-quality rifles shoot. This is how good rifles work.

Last edited by WindLogik; 05-22-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:05 AM

Here's why I use varget... I can use it in my .223, .243, 30.06, and 45-70. Only need to keep one powder stocked. It burns clean. And I get excellent accuracy out of all of them.

The only issue I have is in the 45-70. It doesn't like charges on the lighter side. It burns more complete when you get the pressure up.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLogik View Post
Not coincidentally, if I use a powder of correct burn speed, my high-quality rifles shoot. This is how good rifles work.
Indeed. This is a concept lost on many new shooters, who will expend untold hours looking for the "perfect" load to make up for deficiencies in their rifles and their performance.

Learn to shoot first, then experiment if you wish.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 05-23-2019, 08:12 AM

VarGet. ..... "burns more complete when you get the pressure up" This rather understates the ignition problems with VarGet. I have seen VarGet turn into a plasticized glob in cold weather in not only .45-70 but 30-06 and other cases as well. There are a number of factors involved. I happens with other powders too, but VarGet seems to be particularly prone to ignition failures. The "extreme" claims made by Hodgdon don't address ignition and factory statements including "easy ingiting" are routine and misleading. and, yes, I do use VarGet with no problems in smaller cases such as .223rem. Good Shooting. ...
Old 05-23-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
VarGet. ..... "burns more complete when you get the pressure up" This rather understates the ignition problems with VarGet. I have seen VarGet turn into a plasticized glob in cold weather in not only .45-70 but 30-06 and other cases as well. There are a number of factors involved. I happens with other powders too, but VarGet seems to be particularly prone to ignition failures. The "extreme" claims made by Hodgdon don't address ignition and factory statements including "easy ingiting" are routine and misleading. and, yes, I do use VarGet with no problems in smaller cases such as .223rem. Good Shooting. ...
Just how light of a charge are you using? Been using Varget since almost its inception and have never seen anything like this.

I have always started at the recommended starting charge and not below. What I meant by incomplete burn was a few unburned kernels.
This is a trait exhibited by many slower burning powders.

Too add.... not saying the other powders you mentioned are not viable choices, just Varget fits my needs.

Last edited by Buckshotshoey; 05-24-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:45 AM
GSM Master Instructor

Quote:

This thread mainly "throws light" on your opinion regarding said powders. If you're wondering what long range competitors use to actually win matches as opposed to plinking clay birds, go to a Palma or LR match or ask folks who do.

While I like and use mainly RL15 and H4895, there is a reason Varget is generally the "easy button" and therefore the #1 choice - not only in LR but also for 223 in service rifle..

Mike B
Old 05-25-2019, 06:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb

Jezzz...how many time does a guy have to day:

That is the truth but it sure looks like the truth is unwelcomed in a very very opinionated group here.

I'll just toss this out to you Varget Groupies: Mk 316 Mod "O" load developed by Crane for 762 semi auto sniper rifles is : 175 SMK pushed by 41.745 gr of IMR 4064 powder and its bloody accurate at 1000 yds. Not Varget but old fashioned old school IMR 4064. Now..I don't know why Varget was not selected and I know I have a great Varget load for 175's that holds at 1000 as well.

I'll close out by merely saying I've stated facts. I don't have a opinion on "Best" as I have loads in many powders that hold at 1000 yds. I do have a opinion on CFE 223 though...it stinks for anything but 556 to 600 yds.