Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
One M1A shooter with a new, standard (walnut) SA M1A was placed in "unlimited" due to weight. I don't think that should have happened. The shooter on his left was shooting mostly Xs with his scoped service rifle.....same class. I shot my "purpose built" 7.5 lb A2 and won the (really) old guy class with an embarrassing 278. Good Shooting. ...
Congrats, a win is a win and 278's a respectable score, especially with iron sights and eyes that are not so young anymore.

That's a real shame that a new standard SA M1A was bounced to UMM. I thought there was a small allowance for SA's because they were coming out of the factory a couple ounces over 9.0 lbs. Guess not.

My A2 free-float abomination makes weight, but I'd much rather shoot my M1A. If both of those get bounced, may as well shoot my scoped service rifle.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:10 PM

I might mention that the inspectors used an "inexpensive" spring scale to weigh my A2. I think CMP can afford something better. I also think the rules committee needs to put more effort into their responsibilities. The issues with modern military can be resolved. Good Shooting. ...
Old 08-08-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
The issues with modern military can be resolved.
I agree. Unfortunately, I have little confidence in the outcome since up until now the situation has become worse not better. I believe at the heart of the matter is confusion about what really constiutes a "modern military" rifle. In the world of M16/M4 rifles, it sure isn't a fantacy weapon with a thin, free floated barrel.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:16 PM

Out of curiosity I weighed one of my M14 rifles. It's a standard model built on a GWLA receiver with standard weight Criterion barrel, a Minelli stock and wood hand guard. It comes in at 8.5 pounds, no sling or butt cleaning kit included. With the M1 sling and kit is over the 9 pound limit. It's the only one that makes weight in my collection. Switching top a FG hand guard would probably save a couple more ounces.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:34 PM

Since I plan to shoot my Springfield M1A at the New England Games, I figured I had better check the wieght also. Even with a GI stock and Hawk's dummy kit it comes in at 8 lbs. 5 oz. that's without sling and cleaning kit. Eddie
Old 09-03-2019, 04:55 PM

I entered my M1A in Modern Military at Camp Perry. The man weighing it said 8#-6oz. with sling attached. It is a Springfield Standard with the crappy plastic stock. Scored a 277.