Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2019, 10:15 AM

Default ANAD Rebuilds from the 70's

I received an ANAD rebuild from 76. Ithaca frame/Colt slide, are these in essence new guns? I realize the frame and slide are rebuilt with components, is there any insight on the process they went through?

Basically a refinishing, new springs, and new barrel?

thanks
Old 08-20-2019, 10:41 AM

In essence a new Pistol. The depot process varied depending on source and condition of the items. They could have been simply inspected like some of the unused 03A3's at Ogden post WW II.

For used end items (complete assemblies like pistols or tanks), normally Depot overhaul involves disassembly down to the component level, inspection and gaging of all components. Refinishing of components that gage good but have worn finish, and then reassembly w/ refinished and or new components. All parts come out of separate bins and end items normally are not reassembled w/ any concern of what collectors would call "correctness" or originality.

HTH's
Airborne,
Mark
Old 08-20-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripCarl View Post
I received an ANAD rebuild from 76. Ithaca frame/Colt slide, are these in essence new guns? I realize the frame and slide are rebuilt with components, is there any insight on the process they went through?

Basically a refinishing, new springs, and new barrel?

thanks
Negative...

They aren't "new" guns...per se!!!

They are ARSENAL/DEPOT built weapons utilizing receivers manufactured during WWI/WWII!!!

The remainder of the components are usually M1911A1 components manufactured during (and post) WWII (although a few parts from WWI show up now & then)!!!

Replacement parts (slides, barrels, springs, etc) were manufactured up into the eighties.

Last edited by DDRode; 08-21-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:52 AM

Mark has said it very well above.

There are snippits in books on rebuilding, as most of it is best guess or common sense. Since this is mostly in the USA and was 'only' 30-40 yrs ago, you'd think someone would have talked to the armorers. However, there has to be someone willing to do it, and have the know-how of who to contact. AND I think most rebuild personnel are long retired.

So, best guess from articles at the time (time-period) and knowledge of other rebuild processes is usually your best guess.

Ed
chair born Army MP
Old 08-20-2019, 10:59 AM

We are getting into semantics. DDRode is correct in that they are not "NEW". However by DOD definition Condition Code A End items or components, are New or "LIKE NEW". Unissued depot overhaul end items from Depot stock are Condition code A and hence "Like New". A depot overhauled item can never be NEW per se. However they are rebuilt to "Zero Hours, Zero Miles, Zero Rounds, depending on the item some are all three, so they are like new. General Support level ( 4th level) overhauls are a different animal entirely.

Your mileage may vary.

Mark
Retired Army Airborne Ordnance

Last edited by SpearheadOrd; 08-20-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:43 PM

Considering the dates on some of these are around the bicentennial, I think it's a nice little grab to get one of the ANADs.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:21 PM

I'm no expert, but my 1911 was rebuilt at the Depot in July, 1976. 7/76. Bicentennial gun. I like that. And it is tight as a drum. I was prepared for the "baby rattle" sound that I was told to expect. None of that at all.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerboy View Post
I'm no expert, but my 1911 was rebuilt at the Depot in July, 1976. 7/76. Bicentennial gun. I like that. And it is tight as a drum. I was prepared for the "baby rattle" sound that I was told to expect. None of that at all.
same story here

Old 08-21-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanw View Post
same story here

Wow. Mine is a twin to yours. Same markings on Colt replacement slide and everything. They must have been using those in July 1976.