Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.B. Waitin View Post
Since someone brought this back to life......what if the basic M1 carbine could be modified to fire 223/5.56? Might be cool to own such a rifle and I'm not sure someone shot with it wouldn't be just about as dead as if they were shot with an M4, no?

I.B. Waitin
This has already been done:

http://images-kitup.military.com/wp-...soldier_M4.jpg

The manufacture of them is superb.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr1_38fa View Post
We could produce 10 million carbines so fast your head would spin. Many here don't seem to understand that our country's productive capabilities exceed that of the rest of the world combined. but why do we need any carbines? We have the bomb. I'm an advocate of killing the enemy country from a distance. Let someone else clean up the mess they start! the only two things we lack today are a spine and perseverance.
I agree, the "Nuke them till they glow" philosophy is a good deterrent and a good solution for idiot countries.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:18 AM

Better to tool up to build AK series or SKS, much better system wise
Old 08-30-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logdog View Post
Better to tool up to build AK series or SKS, much better system wise

If you're ever lugged an AK or SKS across miles of ground or crawled on your belly like a reptile gathering intelligence on an enemy you probably would not think that. In both those cases, the lighter the weapon, the better.

And while we've been semi-lucky in the Middle East related to having to travel by foot, if we get into a shooting match with some more serious country in other parts of the world, we're going to need to be walking long distances and crawling on our bellies at some point. In those cases, every pound a weapon weighs makes a difference.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:44 AM

7.62x39 is much better than 30 carbine. I would prefer the sks, I have humped and crawled, ak not so much other than a dispenser. You are right about weight, our troops right now border on absurd with what they carry.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
7.62x39 is much better than 30 carbine. I would prefer the sks, I have humped and crawled, ak not so much other than a dispenser. You are right about weight, our troops right now border on absurd with what they carry.
Here's a though for you: There are other rounds that are lighter, use less power, brass and other materials to make (costing less) and would fit into the M1 Carbine or another light platform, that could easily match or exceed the performance of the 7.62 X 39MM, which, while it's decent with soft points or other hunting ammo against hogs, isn't the greatest performer with FMJ and has a pretty short range. I'm willing to bet we could come up with a modern round fairly easily that could beat it and fit perfect into a lightweight platform.

As far as the M1 Carbine's performance/reliability, my Dad, a WWII Marine Intelligence Man (Scout/Sniper and a do it all kinda guy) carried the M1 as his preferred weapon. Coming off a month-long campaign on one island, he was cleaning his weapon, took a look down the bore and realized the rifling had been shot out because he'd fired that many rounds. So he now had a smoothbore. He took it by the barrel and tossed it overboard (wish he'd brought it home) and went to ship's stores to pick up a new one. If that ain't reliability, I don't know what is. What's the loaded weight again? Around 6 pounds isn't it?
Old 08-30-2019, 08:04 AM

And here's another thought: Take an M1 carbine, the last manufactured iteration, modify the bolt to be similar in lock up to an M16. Add a stamped steel dust cover to keep out the nasty, change the stock from a wood stock to something like those Magpul designed for shotguns, but one piece and lightweight, make the rear sight out of aluminum and steel. That should reduce weight a bit more, improve the rear sight over the stamped version and the stocks could be made camo green or whatever color one needed.

Use an improved Johnson round with modern powders (something designed by Hornady) to closely match the performance of a 5.56MM round (or 6.5MM for that matter) and you'd have something worth toting a long ways. Throw in CNC machinery and Criterion barrels quality level and it'd be accurate.

Last edited by DaveInGA; 08-30-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:08 AM

Looking at the entire string, what are we tooled up to make? really anything we could pay for. Proven systems are the best. So M-1 carbine is a possiblility, but an antique. No need to look beyond the AR/M16 receiver, hang what you want on it, in the caliber you want. I mentioned AK/SKS because they are no brainers to operate and generally dependable, no hit on the M1 carbine which is fine. Semi bringback story...My Dad flew into the belgian congo during the early 60's, the airforce issued navy crews a folding stock M1, M1911A1, Helmet, belt canteens and belt, pouches and mags.
we told if they go down, don't get captured by the locals. They did their missions and flew back to the US, nobody wanted the weapons back, Dad eventually gave both pistol and carbine away!!!!! Should have asked his son!
Old 08-30-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Looking at the entire string, what are we tooled up to make? really anything we could pay for. Proven systems are the best. So M-1 carbine is a possiblility, but an antique. No need to look beyond the AR/M16 receiver, hang what you want on it, in the caliber you want. I mentioned AK/SKS because they are no brainers to operate and generally dependable, no hit on the M1 carbine which is fine. Semi bringback story...My Dad flew into the belgian congo during the early 60's, the airforce issued navy crews a folding stock M1, M1911A1, Helmet, belt canteens and belt, pouches and mags.
we told if they go down, don't get captured by the locals. They did their missions and flew back to the US, nobody wanted the weapons back, Dad eventually gave both pistol and carbine away!!!!! Should have asked his son!

Our fathers, they were something weren't they? Yes, the M1 is an antique, but again, so is the AR platform at this point. But the overcomplicated junk they're bringing out to replace it is all much, much worse for the infantryman to carry, even if he's bigger and stronger than his WWII counterparts. (Though I'm not sure that's true, my Dad was a beast of a man from a strength standpoint.)
Old 08-30-2019, 08:12 AM

yes they were, fortunate to grow up around men who if you looked down their throats you could see the top of very big brass balls