Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2020, 01:43 PM

I can see where the hook really helps with the long & heavy bull barrels on these rifles. Along with the butt hook, what was the best sling to use? I ask, as it looks as though I could acquire a 40X of my own, and I would like to shoot small bore prone with it.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-28-2020, 06:46 AM

Default Sling

Bull bbl is probably too much of a good thing.

Also, the foreend rails are American dimensioned on the 52,40X and hra m12. So, contemporary sling swivels, palm rests, bipods, will not slot in. Retro eq is still made and for sale,used if can find, possibly can buy a modern sized rail, modify it and put it in your Am. rifle. Do not modify your wood foreend tho if wood is original and you want originality and resale. The m52 is not d&t for modern scope, the 40x is, the m12 is not.

Turner saddlery makes quality military type leather that were used'

Prob best buy a nylon one from Champions Choice or Creedmoor Sports.

Look at Brownell, Pyramyd Air, in g.b .: hps-tr.com

Ask the NRA Competition Dept for a list of shooting clubs (target rifle clubs) your area. Talk to a member-get advice. Join the club. Try a members eq., try the clubs eq. Go on internet- search for target rifle shooting and search variants thereof. There are books on target rifle shooting. Try local library system, in Ohio there is Search Ohio and Ohio Link, also can borrow from other states libraries. There is David Tubb(high power across the course mainly) ,, Ways of the Rifle by Gaby Buhlmann-a very detailed and great book on 22 position isu, and, same publisher has equally great books on isu air rifle, and pistol. A lesser book is Olympic Target Rifle Shooting by Ralf Horneber. See what amazon and others have. Champions Choice list of books.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:59 AM

outbackgunparts.com
They make first rate reproduction handstops and swivels for the 40X and Win 52.
As to a sling, Champion's Choice sells the Gehman Standard ISSF sling which is excellent for the price.
I shoot smallbore prone with our local club and find it a lot of fun.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERX-M1 View Post
Also, the foreend rails are American dimensioned on the 52,40X and hra m12. So, contemporary sling swivels, palm rests, bipods, will not slot in. Retro eq is still made and for sale,used if can find, possibly can buy a modern sized rail, modify it and put it in your Am. rifle. Do not modify your wood foreend tho if wood is original and you want originality and resale.
What I saw 9-10 years ago when the mass releases occurred was that most accessories could be used with either rail - Winchester or Anschutz. As you say, that seems to have changed.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:05 AM

Which 40-X was preferred back in the day? The 40-X built on the 722 action, or the 40-X built on the 700 action?

I'm sure the older 722 style 40-X was a little easier to manage with the lighter barrel(?)

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-31-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGON64 View Post
Which 40-X was preferred back in the day? The 40-X built on the 722 action, or the 40-X built on the 700 action?
I'm sure the older 722 style 40-X was a little easier to manage with the lighter barrel(?)
Both the 40X and the 40XB were available from Remington in either barrel weight. Most, maybe all of the CMP release 40Xs had standard barrels and the 40XBs had heavy barrels.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:25 AM

But could the older 722 based 40-X have been considered more accurate than the 700 based 40-X? I have read elsewhere that some believe this to be the case.

Old 04-06-2020, 02:14 PM

Not to beat a dead horse but I shot many a three position match against and with a 40X, and 52D back in the day. Never thought I would be old enough to use that phrase. They were very accurate. I eventually moved to an Anshutz .

Proud Son of Vietnam Vet '68 & '70-- Proud Son-n-law of WWII vet and POW
27 yrs Law enf / CMP customer / NRA Life member
Looking for SA rifle #2465441
Old 04-07-2020, 01:19 PM

still have a 40XB, shot with it in late 60's. best rifle ever, Redfield International Mark 8 sights. with x tube (if anyone now knows what that is). shot standing, kneeling, sitting, prone. shooting jacket, sling, glove. conventional , no hook butt plate, no sling used for standing. weighs 12+ lbs, you get used to it. Love it, too old now to get into some of those positions, can probably get into but not back out of LOL!!!
would keep up with the Anshutz with match ammo !!!
Had young lady on our league like 5 ft tall, shot a 52 heavy and whooped butt.

Last edited by saint; 04-07-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:47 AM

As it turns out, I was offered two 40X rifles in the last couple weeks. It was just too tough to decide between the two, so I bought them both... Ugh! That was a hit on the pocket book.

One of the rifles is an older 40-X based on the 722 action, the other a 40-XB based on the 700 action. Both are U.S. marked and are in very nice shape. As my bank account recovers, I will pick up a sling, glove and possibly a shooting coat. But first, I may have to make the hard decision on which to keep, as I would prefer that neither become safe queens.