Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2022, 12:12 PM

Default Hello from Syracuse NY

Hi -

Wanted to say Hi and Thank You to everyone. My son and I have been enjoying reading all of the posts and looking at the pictures on the forums. Right now we are primarily interested in purchasing an M1 Garand. We may be looking to drive to the North Store in the next few weeks, or ordering an expert grade 30-06 once NY's newly enacted amendments become clearer. We have also been checking out the wide variety of items in the for sale or trade section, so that is an option for us too. Wish I had known about the CMP and this forum years ago.

Thanks again for everything and thanks for having us.
Dave and T
Old 07-29-2022, 01:56 PM

Dave and T, Welcome to the forum. You should be good to go purchasing a M1. The new gun laws are primarily about handguns. Also, When you do get your M1's and want to shoot in local matches there are a few in your area. Bob Pestridge puts on a nice match at Camillus. Regards, Eddie
Old 07-29-2022, 02:24 PM

Hello and welcome from NC. Great to have ya'll here.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epm729 View Post
Dave and T, Welcome to the forum. You should be good to go purchasing a M1. The new gun laws are primarily about handguns. Also, When you do get your M1's and want to shoot in local matches there are a few in your area. Bob Pestridge puts on a nice match at Camillus. Regards, Eddie
Eddie Are you sure?
New York Gov Kathy Hochul new laws which goes into effect in September 2022 to purchasing any semi automatic rifle will require additional licensee which they haven't figure the license and do not until April 2023.

Read this:

https://www.newyorkcriminalattorneyb...se-body-vests/
Old 07-29-2022, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny TNT View Post
Eddie Are you sure?
New York Gov Kathy Hochul new laws which goes into effect in September 2022 to purchasing any semi automatic rifle will require additional licensee which they haven't figure the license and do not until April 2023.

Read this:

https://www.newyorkcriminalattorneyb...se-body-vests/
Gunny, I missed that item, but the legislation is only for buyers under 21.

Last edited by epm729; 07-29-2022 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:03 AM

Smile

Dave and T,

Welcome to the forum! Glad to see more Syracuse folks here.

I think you'd enjoy a trip to Camp Perry. It's a bit of a drive but the store experience is much superior to online ordering (which will take several months, BTW). Be warned, it's easy to overspend there But you'll have a lot more options and likely will end up with a better rifle.

Also keep in mind that rifle sales are for NM competitors only and the store will close once the games are over (8/20, IIRC). But no worries, you can sign up for the Garand matches and take your toy to the range right there. I enjoyed every single match I participated there.
Old 07-30-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epm729 View Post
Hi Eddie -

Thanks. We will check out Bob in Camillus. NY enacted a bunch of amendments. The semi auto amendment is not very clear on the license process. It says that everyone needs one starting in Sept 2022 . https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2021/S9458 It requires all individuals to obtain a license prior to purchase or take possession of a semiautomatic rifle. Currently owned/possessed rifles are not effected. I checked with the Sheriff's office, the pistol license office and my LGS/FFL and they do not have any guidance from the state or courts yet. With a little over a month to go, I hope we find out soon

Thanks
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cz315 View Post
Dave and T,

Welcome to the forum! Glad to see more Syracuse folks here.
Hi Cz -

Thanks for the advice/tip. I would have hated making the 13 hr round trip drive and not have been able to purchase. I'll check out the match schedule and see if i can swing a day or two off in the next few weeks.

Thanks
Dave
Old 08-01-2022, 02:44 PM

Welcome to the forum
X-ring Shooter from Camillus, NY.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:31 PM

Welcome from a native NYer (Ithaca), moved South 46 years ago at the age of 26.

John

Last edited by Tennboy; 08-01-2022 at 06:32 PM. Reason: can't count!
Old 08-03-2022, 01:37 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum. I just picked up 2 racks last week that were delivered to my local NY FFL. As of now any semi-automatic rifle will need buyer to have a permit to purchase or posses.There are probably going to be exepmtions for some firearms. My FFls' state police contacts are telling him its gonna be some type of purchase card. In NY the NICS/backround check has been performed by NYS Police, now it may switch to federal Nics check. Hopefully NY new law doesnt affect garands or the CMPs ability to ship to NY FFLs'.