Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2011, 06:30 AM

Default USPS Insurance claim?

I need a little help/advise. I bought a Browning 425 shoutgun from a man on Gunbroker. He advertised that there were a few handling marks and that it was a great gun. When I received it yesterday it looked like there was a crack in the grip area. When I opened and close the action you could feel that the stock was broken. I have my doubts about him not knowing about it being broken.

I contacted the seller and he assures me it was not broken when he shipped it. My dealer (long time family friend) said the gun was shipped perfectly and that there didn't appear to be any damage to the box. The seller wants me to make a claim with USPS. A new stock and forearm from Browning is around $800 ( I am including a forearm too because I want the wood to match), or total reimbursement is $1500.

Has anybody made a claim with USPS before? If so, how long does it take, how do I go a bout it?

Thanks

Ted

Last edited by Chesapeake; 04-19-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:58 AM

So the gun was damaged during shipping yet there is no damage to the box? This sure doesn't sound like an insurance claim to me. Sounds more like a dishonest seller trying to divert blame to someone else. The post office will want to see all packaging.

I'd be talking to the seller if I were you. Either way, when the PO denies the claim you'll be going back to the seller anyway. Start documenting all conversations, take pictures and have your gun dealer give you a written account about how the package was received.

Good luck to you, I hope you can get you money back or at least some of it.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:43 AM

Bad situation. This is exactly why my dealer will not open a package before the buyer comes for it. Maybe if the stock is removed and closely examined it will give some sign that the break has been there awhile. Further, on the topic of the condition of the packaging-I can imagine a stock getting broke inside a box that showed very little damage. A little softness indicating the package flexed at one time might be all that shows up. Best of luck.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:47 AM

I have shipped many old radios for restoration and when ever I had a problem with USPS the claim had to started at the shippers end, the post office will want the actual package as it was shipped for examination, also I hope one of you has an FFL.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keymaker View Post
So the gun was damaged during shipping yet there is no damage to the box? This sure doesn't sound like an insurance claim to me. Sounds more like a dishonest seller trying to divert blame to someone else. The post office will want to see all packaging.

I'd be talking to the seller if I were you. Either way, when the PO denies the claim you'll be going back to the seller anyway. Start documenting all conversations, take pictures and have your gun dealer give you a written account about how the package was received.

Good luck to you, I hope you can get you money back or at least some of it.
When you signed for that package you were stating the pkg was ok, there is or was a spot on the form for reportin g any visable damage, sounds to me like a nogo with a claim,,,
Old 04-19-2011, 07:57 AM

I think either buyer or shipper can start a claim.

But, sending it back will invalidate the initial insurance.

If shipper starts claim, USPS will want to see packing and item in possession with the buyer.

Most claims are turned down because of improper packing.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:03 AM

Keep in mind, most carriers can deny the claim for invalid or insufficient packing as well. If you send and expensive item in a cheap flimsy cardboard box that is reason enough to deny the claim. I would say if there is no visible signs of damage on the packaging, it was broke before it was sent.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Poster View Post
I think either buyer or shipper can start a claim.

But, sending it back will invalidate the initial insurance.

If shipper starts claim, USPS will want to see packing and item in possession with the buyer.

Most claims are turned down because of improper packing.
Exactly. If an item is damaged and the box is barely showing damage or an obvious hard hit, then most of the time it was poorly packed. Some people are outstanding packers, while others pack like the item is going for a ride in their trunk.

I certainly hope the item WAS insured. As I said, don't wait on the post office to fix things, contact the seller now to discuss how things will be handled. Good luck to you, let us know how this mess turns out.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:23 AM

I bought a rifle from a guy on Gunbroker a long time back and when I received it I found out it was not what he advertised.(It had a cut down barrel)So I asked for a refund and he said no problem,ship it back and he will send me a check.Well when he received it from me he said the stock was broken.He sent me pictures of the broken stock and of the box.The stock was broken at the wrist area and the box only had a small crease in it.He tried to file a claim right away and was told the shipper has to file the claim.Luckily I paid for insurance when I sent it back.So I filed the claim,they asked what was damaged and for pictures and how much to replace.I told them the price for a replacement stock and they wrote me a check for it.They also wanted the broken stock back,so I gave it to them.The whole prossess took about 3 weeks.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the advise. The gun was insured and the seller has been very nice about helping ans supplying info. I have been in contact with USPS and we are in the process of filling out the claim. I am going to try for a repair first. If that doesn't happen then I will return the rifle. I will keep ya'll in the loop as to how things are going.

Thank again guys

Ted