Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie59 View Post
I understand you can get clips made out of a polymer that are real easy to empty. Brownells, etc. sell them.
Again, I just don't see the need for them unless you need to reload the pistol in a "combat" situation.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:54 PM

My Colt 1917 wouldn't fire .45 acp shells without clips, since Colt didn't counter bore the cylinder. It doesn't make a difference with a S&W.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigman2

I don't have a 1917. I'd grab one in a heartbeat if I could find one at a decent price. But I do love my S&W 25-2s! I don't use the half or full moon clips although I have an ample supply. I load .45 Auto Rim but do occasionally shoot ACP. I've never had any trouble getting the empty cases out. If one did stick a pencil would do the job. Wheelguns, the reloader's dream!

Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://www.wwiimemorial.com/registry...unt=1&tcount=1
Old 09-19-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
My Colt 1917 wouldn't fire .45 acp shells without clips, since Colt didn't counter bore the cylinder. It doesn't make a difference with a S&W.
Only the first 50,000 Colt Model 1917s had straight chambers that required half-moon clips. After that they changed to stepped chambers like the S&W. My Colt Model 1917 has stepped chambers.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Good point. Colt made the modification relatively early in production to allow the M1917 to use .45 ACP cartridges. You must have one of the early ones. Obviously, if you do, the clips are the only option (other than using .45 Colt rimmed).
Old 09-19-2011, 07:58 AM

http://www.ezmoonclip.com/page_4.htm

these were mentioned earlier in the thread.

I've been keeping my eyes open for a 1917 for a while. One day I'll find one at a reasonable price.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:52 AM

I had one I paid about $250 for years ago. It was in excellent shape and was quite accurate. I was even considering using it in Bullseye.

Then I lost it in a burglary. I had 26 pistols taken, all were recovered but three. One was a 2" Model 10, one was a Ruger 44 Mag Blackhawk flat top, and the other was my 1917.

I've been looking every since for a replacement. Now I'm to the point I don't care what I have to pay for a good one.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:03 AM

be VERY careful about buying ANY vintage revolver. Cylinder play, timing, lock-up, "bad" trigger jobs etc. all need to be ruled out. Original finish on both (IIRC) was blued, but refurb/arsenal parkerization is common also.

Also, don't expect a "tack-driver" from either the Colt (New Service) or Smith (Hand-Ejector).
Old 09-19-2011, 11:36 AM

Mine shoots nice. I use full mooners. Sure the combat reload speed is good, they also give you quicker reload time when paying for range-time. I don't like to waste any time refilling mags, etc. Some guys like to kill a lot of time at it--- I don't like the $$$ waste in doing so. The guns are generally more than accurate enough, easy to customize, and fun to shoot, in a revolver sort of way. The price sounds okay. Consider the Brazilian model, too, they're a bargain.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:26 PM

Hey Guys, Thanks for the replies and help. I went back yesterday to take a closer look at it. I really didn't look at it that well the first time. Then I started to think about it, then the more I wanted to add it to the collection.

Anyway, this is what I do know. It is closer to 85% than the 90-95 I said at first. It does look like the original blued finish though. It does have that "patina" look, in a few places, on what would be exposed while in a holster. It is in the 18K serial range. All the numbers are matching. It has the US Property and ordnance markings. No import or Brazilian markings. The only two bad things I see on it, the lanyard ring/pin has been broken off, and it has S&W grips on it, not the plain military. However, the grips do look like they have been on the pistol a very long time. The broken pin can be removed with a little work. I don't know how hard it will be to find original grips. I think I can get it for $550 out the door. I will know later this evening.