Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2011, 12:29 PM

Default M1's and blank ammo

Hello, I'm asking this question to try and help my father service some rifles for the VFW. Thier rifles don't cycle out the blank ammo they use, I'm assuming it doesnt have enough pressure to it??? is there a way to correct this with an adjustable gas plug or something, or was this ammo never ment to cycle out?? Thank you.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:39 PM

Travis there are lots of variables here. Ask your father which ammo they are using crimped or the red paper tipped, also are the rifles clean? Properly lubed. The VFW I belong to had not cleaned or maintained the rifles for years, just shot the hell out of them. Where are you located? There are many members on the forum here that will gladly help a Veterans organization.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:25 PM

Travis,

Unless the rifles have some type of blank firing device / adapter installed, they will not cycle with any type of blank ammunition.

Mark
Old 10-23-2011, 02:30 PM

They use the crimped end stuff or as my father calls it his rocket lauching ammo and they are located in middle of Florida. But if there is no way the ammo will cycle, then I guess that answers my original question. If I had to guess the rifles have been shot to no end with out being cleaned. I'm located in Norther NY but my parents travel Florida and the first thing on my fathers list I guess is to clean the rifles when he gets there. If I had to guess the last time my father cleaned an M1 was round 1957 or 1958 and some times I think he confuses them with the M1a's lol Thank you.

Last edited by Travis; 10-23-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:39 PM

As was said, if no BFA on rifle; you'll get a bang, but that's it.
The crimped end blanks are correct for Garands.
The important place to clean is the chamber. If that gets gummed/crudded up, the op rod does not have enough power to eject the empty.
Since I started thoroughly cleaning in chambers in the 15 Garands I maintain for the local AL Post, I have had 0 problems except for some op rod concerns because of using the wrong blanks(the red capped ones).
Old 10-23-2011, 02:47 PM

I dont know if they want to spend the money or not but does anyone have an opinion on a good and affordable BFA ?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:02 PM

https://www.dupagetrading.com/neat-s...k-adapter.html

I don't know anything about these, but remembered seeing them. It's $20 for seven of them if I'm reading that right.

Seems worth a shot.
Good luck!
Old 10-23-2011, 03:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

if they do have bfa on the rifle the problem may be the hole in the bfa needs drilled out to a larger size i believe it takes a size 18 drill bit, but shotgun here on the forum will be the one to say for sure
Old 10-23-2011, 03:03 PM

Default Warning and help

First, be certain what type of blanks they are using. If they are indeed "Rocket Launching or Grenade Lauching" blanks, any sort of BFA will result in the weapon blowing up.

The blank rounds used to launch rocket grenades are exceptionally over powered.

The Departmernt of the Army ceremonial rifle program is conducted by the US Army TACOM Life Cycle Management Command's Static Display and Ceremonial Rifle Team located in Warren, Michigan. The Army may conditionally lend or donate not more than 15 excess M1 Garand rifles to an eligible organization and is a source of blanks for use by these veterans organizations.

http://www.tacom.army.mil/ceremonial_rifle/

Paul
U.S. Air Force 1982 to 2009
27 years of Active, Guard and Reserve Service
Old 10-23-2011, 03:07 PM

I have maybe 6-7 used BFAs if the rifles have none.
Be glad to send them to you.