Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2011, 12:22 PM

Default 1911 "Hardball" pistol

I'd eventually like to get a CMP legal 1911 service pistol.

A) -- Who manufactures such a beast currently?; And what does it cost to buy it off the shelf, ready to go?

B) -- How hard is it to "build/fit" one from component parts? Ultimate cost? Is there a definitive book or video available that coaches one through the build/fit process? Is there any particular part of the process that is essentially "un-do-able" except by an experienced gunsmith?
Old 10-26-2011, 03:17 PM

Les Baer and Clark Custom Guns are both producing EIC legal pistols. Clark's HB gun runs $1665. http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/bullcon.htm#hard The Les Baer runs $1890. http://www.lesbaer.com/prices.html#pistols

I had Buddy Chapman in Lone Oak build my EIC pistol. I used a SA 1911A1. Total cost was around $900.

The big thing with building a 1911, no matter what use, i.e. Bullseye or Hardball, is the fit of the barrel bushing and the fit of the barrel link and barrel to make sure it locks up tight and the same everytime. In addition, the stipling or checkering of the front strap is something best left to a gunsmith since he will have the right tools/jib to accomplish the task.

I believe Clark has a video DVD on accurizing the 1911. There's a lot more to it than just the barrel bushing and barrel link fit, such as fitting the slide, trigger job, and installing sights.

Last edited by CDRT; 10-26-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:20 PM

Thanks CDRT.

What sort of special tools are required for a project like this? Assuming you had to accumulate all new tools, what is the total cost of that?

Other than the checkering, is the rest of the stuff "do-able" by someone with some mechanical skills and aptitude.....or is it out of the league for all except the experienced?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:34 AM

The minimum tools would be (1) a reamer to fit the bushing to the barrel, (2) a jig for the sear/hammer fit for the trigger job, (3) the insert that fits inside the magazine well so you don't bend the frame when you do the stipling (4) the proper tools to open up the dovetail slot for the new rear sight (5) a rear sight pusher so you don't damage the rear sight when you install it and (5) the proper tools to weld the new front sight on unless you cut a dovetail slot for it, which would require an additional tool.

You can figure out the cost by checking at www.brownells.com since they sell all the stuff to accurize a .45. I know the sight pusher runs around $100.

They had a workshop at Camp Perry when I was there, run by a gunsmith who explained how he accurizes a 1911. It is not something to be done as a first project.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:49 AM

I also forgot that you'll need to buy parts; front and rear sight, NM barrel and bushing, better trigger, extra sear and possibly hammer, barrel link for better lock up, sear spring (in case you screw up the one in the pistol) and maybe some CMP legal grips.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:21 PM

Wow....sounds pretty daunting.........I think I'll just keep reading and learning about it for now.....but maybe one day, if/when I ever get to retire (a long way off), I could find time and energy for such a challenging project.

Thanks for helping my education along.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:06 PM

I shot several matches with a Springfield Armory 1911A1 that had an aluminum trigger and adjustable sights with no other work done to it. It ran fine and was competitive for quite a while.

I know a shooter who ran a rack grade M92FS into the 270's last year.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:14 AM

Kuhnhausen .45 shop manual vols 1 and 2 will really give an in depth idea of what's involved.

If you're at all interested in the 1911, I'd say this is required reading.

Well worth the cost.

Mark
Old 04-23-2012, 12:52 AM

How about Springfield Armory? They have a Hardball pistol listed under
custom shop. I dont no how much they charge or how good they are,
but I have had good luck with some of there other 1911's.
Might be worth looking into, at least to start out with.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damol View Post
How about Springfield Armory? They have a Hardball pistol listed under
custom shop. I dont no how much they charge or how good they are,
but I have had good luck with some of there other 1911's.
Might be worth looking into, at least to start out with.
The SA Custom Shop turns out really great pistols, but pricewise they're on the order of the Les Baers, if not more so.