Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 07:09 AM

Clean the rear sight aperture (IIRC it's .072") with acetone and a Q tip. Cut the excess JB off and drill a small pilot hole before it's completely hardened. Use larger drills to bevel out the front opening and a set of welders tip cleaners to open the aperture to the desired diameter, spin a toothpick inside the new opening to smooth it, blacken with a felt pen and you are almost done. You can use a soot lamp or BIC lighter on your new sight if you don't hold it on too long. If you don't like the results--one quick twist with a pointed instrument and you can start over. The military sights were big, that's really big--for day/night use on moving targets. I suspect every shooter can benefit from this new ruling by reducing the opening. Remember--it's pi Radius squared--a small reduction in diameter makes a lot of difference. This is really good news for 1917/P14 shooters. Thanks to WES for his efforts and CMP for moving on this. Good Shooting......
Old 04-17-2012, 12:39 PM

Just did my 1917 last night If you put a piece of masking tape on one side of the aperture the more liquid JB Weld or similar epoxy will work also
I sprayed the aperture with brake clean, taped the front side applied the epoxy with a tig welding rod stub (toothpick or similar item will work just as good) after the epoxy was in the hole I took a thin piece of cardboard and screeded the excess of (as in screeding concrete) Let it sit overnight This morning I didn't have to sand a thing
I own a machine shop so I have the luxury of setting it up in a Bridgeport and locating the center of the hole,touched the center of the hole with a .106 drill to leave a concave point and drilled the epoxy to .055"
I haven't shot the 1917 with the smaller aperture yet but .055'' seems plenty big enough in average light this morning It will definitely make centering the front sight in the rear a lot easier
Old 04-17-2012, 02:58 PM

So if you can modify the rear aperture why then couldn't you drill it out, thread the hole and use an insert like those used on an AR rear? This way you could have a choice of sizes and find one that gives the best sight picture.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:57 PM

Mike 308,
The 7th bullet item in the rule 6.3.1 says
"Sights must be of the same types that were on rifles issued to regular mili- tary personnel, except that the internal diameter of rear apertures may be modified. Adjustable apertures, interchangeable inserts and lens inserts of any type are prohibited. Special purpose sights designed for sniping or competition are not permitted."
You can find the rules at
http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf
Be sure to read the entire 6.3.1
Old 04-18-2012, 06:43 AM

If it's not .072, it's not as-issued. The as-issued thing was fun while it lasted, but I think we can safely say there's no more such thing as an as-issued match. There's now just 2 levels of mods allowed.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:06 AM

I hear what yer saying plainolddave but like ceresco said, it only helps the shooter focus, it doesnt truely enchance the weapons accuracy itself per se but helps the shooter to see, almost like wearing glasses. Course any rear sight ap with a peep is easier on the eyes over my Mosins open rear sight, lol.

I was wrong once but I was mistaken

Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice!

Not as Lean, Not as Mean but still a Marine!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:49 AM

Dave: "as issued" never did truly exist. You could buy a Krieger Match barrel and a new fitted stock or even a guaranteed big bucks "as issued match rifle" All the time, good shooting and particularly offhand is what won matches. Good Shooting......
Old 04-18-2012, 09:03 AM

So if I weld up the rear opening and drill a smaller size is that legal? How is J-B weld any different then welding? Seems like a silly rules change. My WWII issue has nearly all 60's issue parts and is legal. Somehow the phrase "as-issued" is used rather loosely!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:27 AM

The spirit of "as issued" is intended to keep out the 1/2 MOA purpose built match rifles and to keep the cost down for the average shooter. This rule change still stays within these boundaries. The best part of all is it levels the playing field a bit for those of us with less than perfect eyes.
As Ceresco says. In the end it all comes down to the shooter.
This is nowhere near as bad what is about to happen when the CMP allows the 308 Garand in as an as issued rifle.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:26 AM

Mike-read the rule. There is no mention of JB or welding in the rules. I know opinions vary, but I think CMP did the right thing in this case. Good Shooting......