Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 AM

Default M1 Carbine Sling

It has always been my understanding that the only legal sling that can be used in the M1 Carbine Match is the as-issued web sling. It is the one with the snap at the front and the oilier attachment at the back. Plus the rear attachment with the oilier must remain in place (ie: only used as a hasty sling or in parade position). I was given this information from a person who was a match director at the CMP Games this year.
I have been seeing some shooters in matches using leather slings similar to what would be used on a 03-A3 or M1 only narrower. They will use it cinched to their upper arm, also just like you would use it on an 03-A3 or M1 for prone and sitting positions. Is this legal or not?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:48 AM

From the current rule book:

Quote:
6.10.5 M1 Carbine Slings
M1 Carbines used in M1 Carbine Matches may only be equipped with issue Carbine-type web or leather slings (single strap, no arm loop) that are fixed at both attachment points. M1 Carbines are not required to have slings, but if a sling is attached or used, it must be an issue Carbine-type sling, except that Carbines fired in M1 Garand Matches may be used with a standard M1 web sling. Issue Carbine-type slings are single straps not wider than 1.0 inch and not longer than 48 inches from the Lift-the-Dot closure to the sling tip that is attached to the butt stock and attached to the oiler.
It appears the slings you saw were illegal, since they probably had the arm loop and were not single strap type slings. A photo would help.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:04 PM

Default M1 Carbine Sling

The wording of the rule is exactly what I assumed it was. I don't have any photos. Do they let people do it anyway at Camp Perry?
Old 06-22-2012, 12:45 PM

I've never been there for the Carbine matches. Hopefully someone will comment who has been there.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:06 AM

Default Carbine Match at Perry

Having participated in the Carbine Matches at Camp Perry and at my local and state ranges; the Carbine "as issued" sling is supposed to be the sling used, if a sling is used, in the Carbine matches.

It is a hasty sling attached to the firearm at both ends and is allowable for the sighting, prone SF, prone RF and sitting/kneeling positions only.

It is supposed to be returned to a parade sling or left to dangle in the standing. What's funny is watching a guy or two on the line try to loop it around their arm in the offhand.

I have only fired a Garand in the Garand match at Perry but locally I have used a Carbine on 100 yard walk-ups. A sling may be used on the Carbine that is similar to those used on the Garand and may be worn around the arm in the same fashion as the leather or web sling on the Garand. The problem is finding a "J" hook or sling tip that will fit through the swivel without modification.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:32 PM

I have found from experience shooting the Carbine Match..The sling is best left in parade position throughout the entire match. Sling tension seems to make the carbine accuracy go to heck..believe me I have tried it every way possible. JMHO

CMP Match Chairman

NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman

Indoor Small Bore Rifle Chairman

Chief Range Officer
Old 06-30-2012, 09:29 PM

I agree with what GG said completely.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:00 AM

Default M1 Carbine Sling

I would have to agree with GG. Shooting the Carbine is like shooting an air rifle. They are both very "hold" sensitive.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownRangeDan View Post
I would have to agree with GG. Shooting the Carbine is like shooting an air rifle. They are both very "hold" sensitive.
More like a Red Ryder

CMP Match Chairman

NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman

Indoor Small Bore Rifle Chairman

Chief Range Officer
Old 07-05-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
i have found from experience shooting the carbine match..the sling is best left in parade position throughout the entire match. Sling tension seems to make the carbine accuracy go to heck..believe me i have tried it every way possible. Jmho
+100