Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 08:44 AM

Default Just installed my new Burris Scout Scope on Ultimak mount

I finally got around to installing my new Burris 2.75 x 20 mm Scout Scope on an Ultimak M12 mount with Butler Creek scope covers. I used low Leupold quick release rings. From preliminary testing in my living room, it looks like my cheek weld will be about the same as using iron sights. But I will likely end up removing the rear sight aperture. The deer don't have a chance now!

For all of you Garand purists, don't worry. No Garands were permanently harmed by installing this scope. I can take the Ultimak mount off quite easily and replace the rear handguard. There is no drilling involved.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:26 AM

That looks like something I might have to do!
I got to within 60 yards of the deer I shot last fall with mine so I could use the factory sights. But as age creeps up on me that just might be the ticket!

It looks good on there.

John
Old 07-13-2012, 10:46 AM

Ultimak makes quality products!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:49 AM

That's a nice looking setup. Please let us know what type of groups you get.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:33 PM

Jeff Cooper would love it. Personally, well, let's just say I don't find the attraction.
Jon
Old 07-13-2012, 01:47 PM

Looks great. I hope that cheek weld works out. I think I used burris low profile rings when I put mine together a few years back and it was still higher then I cared for. Nothing a cheek pad wouldn't fix..

Eric
Old 07-13-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericc View Post
Looks great. I hope that cheek weld works out. I think I used burris low profile rings when I put mine together a few years back and it was still higher then I cared for. Nothing a cheek pad wouldn't fix..

Eric
Did you remove the rear aperture?
Old 07-13-2012, 05:42 PM

I left the rear aperture in. With it all the way down it wasn't in the way.

Eric
Old 07-16-2012, 09:02 AM

Well, I tried out the new Burris scout scope at the range yesterday. But I have to admit that I was a little disappointed. Although the 2.75 magnification improved my sight picture significantly, I could not shoot a tighter group with the scope than I could with the iron sights.

As I was warming up, I shot my best 8-shot group ever with iron sights that was 1.75 inches. Then I attached the scope and started tinkering with it to get it sighted in. I shot three or four clips after getting it sighted in, but I couldn't get the groups smaller than about 2.5 using the identical hand loads.

It was frustrating to say the least since I have about $500 invested in the mount, scope and rings. I thought that I would see an improvement. Maybe I just need to play with it more and get used to how to use it?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:23 AM

I found the scout scope didn't make a difference at 100yds, but my 200yd groups were noticeably better using the scout scope. YMMV as eye quality obviously plays a big part here, & my eyes ain't as good as they used to be.

To me the scout scope experiment is yet another confirmation that M1 Garand iron sights really are quite good.