Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 10:35 AM

Default M1 Garand Safety

What causes a safety to break at the hook?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:08 AM

Some South American country broke the safety tips off to allow the safety to be used with the hammer forward. It is pretty hard to see how a safety could break in normal use, but I suppose it is possible. I had one break during a match (Western games of course) and jam up so tightly that dissasembly and quite a bit of time were required to get going again. Turns out it was one of the South American ones and had been weakened when they took the tip off. I suspect their method was to put the tip in a vise and bend back and forth until it broke off. My safety probably had a fatigue crack from their procedure and was an accident waiting to happen. Good Shooting.....
Old 07-17-2012, 04:19 PM

Someone who does'nt understand the rifle and tries to engage the safety when the hammer is not cocked.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:57 PM

I heard that this was done in combat to silence the safety.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate69 View Post
What causes a safety to break at the hook?
Very few break through normal use, especially the later safeties which have the arched profile. The vast majority were deliberately broken so that the safety could be applied when the hammer was not cocked; something not possible with an unaltered safety.

The vast majority of breaks that I have seen are always right at, or close to, the top of the trigger housing. This is just the right spot to grab
the safety tip with a pair of pliers and snap it off:

I have a couple of dozen broken safeties (they still work fine) and all of them are broken in virtually the same location. Someone did it on purpose.

Last edited by MTC29; 07-17-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:40 PM

Could it be related to which trigger housing you are using? I'm asking a question, not making a statement. The tip of the safety was changed for the modified pads (on the trigger housing). Could using the wrong safety for the modified pad damage the safety?

Last edited by MGentry; 07-17-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:25 PM

I have a 9SA that looks like MTC29's photo. Just trying to understand how this could happen. I do not think the break occurred while I owned the rifle. Thanks for all the insight.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:56 PM

I believe that soldiers, or their armorers, did this for two reasons; It allows you to engage the safety without the hammer cocked and it makes the safety alot easier to engage. With the tip broken you don't have to work against the hammer spring to engage the safety. Only drawback is that the hammer is not "locked out" and a hard bump to the the gun could allow the hammer to fall.

Dupage was recently selling "out of spec." trigger groups and the only thing wrong with them was the snapped off safety tips.

Last edited by i1afli; 07-17-2012 at 10:00 PM.