Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 03:59 PM

Default Winchester Clip Latch Question

I am trying to find the correct clip latch for my Winchester. I am confused about which one to use. I am using the red Scott Duff Book and the blue serial number and data sheet book. My serial number is 1278???. Looks like it falls between Dec. 42 and Jan. 43 production. The book says early 42 through late summer 42 have CM stamped. Late 43 through early 45 have are stamped A. My rifle is between the cutoffs. Would I be correct with a CM stamped. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rover
Old 01-06-2013, 05:30 PM

Yours falls in the "dead zone"...unmarked clip latch. It must be "round nosed" (looking at the pin hole in the end where the pin protrudes, no square surrounding the hole) and on the back, below the spring hole, the milling is not a straight line. It will appear a little "indented" toward the spring hole. Generally you'll also note the "rough milling marks" as well but beware, some SAs will show milling marks.
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 01-06-2013, 10:31 PM

I think you are so close that any WRA clip latch could be correct. There was always overlapping usage during changeover.