Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 12:51 PM

Default Savage Model 99

Got a buddy at work who has a Savage Model 99 in .250 Savage. He has a possible headspace problem and thinks he needs to have it reamed/recut.

I don't know squat about Savage rifles, so I thought I would ask the hive brain.

Anyone know where he can send it or take it? He's in Central GA.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:19 PM

I know very little about those rifles other than I would just go nuts to have one. A Savage 99 in .250 Savage is like gold to many. Not saying from experience just from research. Don't mess with the Bubba guys. Take it to a competent 'smith to have it checked.....and evaluated. There are a lot of variables involved here. You shouldn't have any problem finding a good guy where you're at. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:31 PM

Default The Savage 99 comes in several models

some have rotary magazines some have detachable magazines. Some are take down some are not. Now a pre war takedown in 22 HP would be something so neat that you would cry. I would be very surprised if one had a headspace problem as they were made in 308 and 300 savage which are both very powerful cartridges. These are not uncommon rifles but the rotary mag ones are just works of art. They are much more robust than say a Win 95, it may have some problem, but I have someone look at it before buying. 250-3000 is a killer caliber.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:13 PM

I'd be skeptical that the rifle has an insufficient headspace problem that would require any sort of reaming or cutting. You are on the right track in trying to find a competent gunsmith to look at it.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 AM

The top three things I wish I'd never sold: The Python, the model 19 and the savage in .308. Yeah, it was just a .308 but it was the only one I ever owned.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:42 AM

I have 2 99's. One is a Paul Yeager custom in 250 Ackley Improved and the other is a Carbine in 250. I bought the Carbine from an 83 year old gentleman in Butte, Mt. It was his elk rifle and he wasn't hunting anymore. It only has about 10-15% finish left on it, and it has extra holes drilled in the side of the receiver, but it's a keeper because of the man who owned and used it.
I don't understand what type of headspace problem your friend is having. Are you saying the headspace has decreased and that's why the chamber has to be recut?
Try this web site.

http://www.americangunsmiths.com/Gun...-Gunsmiths.htm

I checked this site looking for gunsmiths in SC and the site was closed in Oct 2012. It still list some gunsmiths in GA, but you'll need to call the numbers listed.

Last edited by buttebob; 01-23-2013 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Updated info.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 AM

I am personally doubting the head space is an issue and more like an incorrect chamber spec or incorrect reloads. I own a Model 99 T in 300 savage which his rifle may be. Definetely get it to a smith to see what is going on. Rick B