Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2018, 04:47 PM

Default WWII Surplus Ammo

When I got my early Inland, it also came with a Thompson mag bag full of nearly 600 rounds of .30 Carbine. I recently looked at the ammo, and it think it all has head stamps that date it from 1942-1944. It looks like it has a patina, so I shot 5 rounds of it to test them, and those worked, although a couple had ruptured cases.

Is this ammo something that people have interest in as a collector's item? My original intent was to just shoot it, but now I'm having second thoughts.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:20 PM

Not an easy question. Short answer is yes I suspect there is a fairly high degree of collectability for the ammo, but not sure what kind of premium you could get for 600 loose.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:08 PM

.30 carbine, like other obsolete/discontinued USGI ammo, especially non corrosive, sells at a nice premium when in original boxes, or clips & bandoleers, and in the original cans.
Loose ammo WWII noncorrosive, maybe worth .05-.10 cents a round over what commercial currently is, imo.
I'd shoot it.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 06-11-2018, 07:02 PM

Ruptured cases would have me concerned about shooting it?
Old 06-11-2018, 07:45 PM

I had some WWII Winchester that when shot had mostly ruptured cases. I shot fresh ammo and no ruptured cases, So I think the brass is brittle. There was a war on when it was made.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:40 PM

Just playing devil's advocate here: they aren't making any more WW2 Carbine ammo -- hundred year anniversary of WW2 is coming up. While a good question is: "what's it worth now," I'd also consider the question "What'll it be worth in a couple decades?" I probably won't be around then - you might, or your heirs might. It'll be a novelty heirloom if nothing else. Or shoot it up and leave some genuine WW2 brass behind...
Old 06-15-2018, 02:21 PM

Ruptured cases are not unusual with WW2 carbine ammo. I have had quite a few PC cases rupture on first firing. Brass is getting brittle with age. Split down the side.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:41 PM

Haven't shot WWII vintage carbine ammo, lots of 70s stuff, never seen a case ruptured. Are there any ill effects such as chamber pitting? I have had primer blowback on an M1 and that caused a pit on the bolt face from the escaping gas. But that was a more concentrated escape path.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:41 PM

I have fired at lot of WWII carbine and still have some WWII loose ammo to shoot. Fired it in several GI carbines of mine and never had any case problems.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:59 PM

Well, I decided, at least for now, to keep the WWII ammo in reserve, and I ordered a case of IMI surplus ammo.

I'm not too worried about the ruptured cases, I haven't had any with the S&B ammo I was using, although I did have ruptures when I got some cheap new-production but not big name ammo.