Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2018, 07:56 PM

Yep, I understand ROI, time value of money, etc. Something tells me that most of the knowledgeable collectors on this forum do pretty well when buying, selling and trading weapons.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanJ View Post
Yep, I understand ROI, time value of money, etc. Something tells me that most of the knowledgeable collectors on this forum do pretty well when buying, selling and trading weapons.
I don't buy for the purpose of selling, but that said, I have sold a few here and there as my collection changes. I generally make money. I have never lost any, but there are a couple/three in my collection that I know I have overpaid for. With the CMP Garands, it is near impossible to not make a few dollars. All that said, if I really want to make money I look to the stock market.

Last edited by krdomingue; 06-05-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:46 AM

With exceptions, collecting firearms is usually a fairly safe investment that at least protects the purchase power of your capital investment (inflation proof). Unless you did something like buy a dozen 1860 Henry rifles for $2000, you will probably not be able to retire on the investment return. In 2008, my 401K lost 75%, and I had to put off my retirement for 5 years until it recovered and I could diversify into safer investments. The value of my firearms did not drop during that stock market crash (even discounting the effect of the Obama election).

Gun hoarding is not without risks. One problem in investing in firearms is finding a buyer for the full value that you THINK your collection has. Those dozen Henrys may now be worth $960,000, but it may take awhile to sell them. Another large issue is political - who is in the White House or recent media attacks can affect the value in either direction (right now AR-15s are dirt cheap compared to 10 years ago), and if we ever get an Australia-type mandatory govt buy-back for $200/gun, you're screwed. If someone claims you have mental issues, or you are arrested for domestic violence or get a protection order issued against you, you're screwed again.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:52 PM

Gee, I sure hope my wife doesn't read this thread!! My "it's a good investment" cover will be blown!!
"I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be 'happy'. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be honorable, to be compassionate. It is, above all, to matter, to count, to stand for something, to have it make some difference that you lived at all." LEO ROSTEN
Old 06-05-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandhunter31 View Post
Not really....... you actually lost money........ (not to pick on you) but its what drives me nuts about people who say guns are a good investment....... if you invested $100 bucks in 1980 with a professional CPA, compounding interest for 38 years would give you $1600 bucks today, much better than doubling your money with guns....... buy milsurps to cherish the history and enjoy them........
LOL, lose? I won't lose a dime when I sell any of them. They were never bought as an investment to begin with but, since no one in my family really wants them when I'm gone, many will go on the market in the near future. Been there, done that on the collecting thing. I was a passion for me since my Father fought in WWII but now they just take up room in the safe better used for guns I actually shoot than guns that are hidden in gunsocks and collect dust.

That, and I live in an area that is still ripe for wildfires. If that happens they all go away in an instant. I got lucky last time. The money I do make on them will go toward that once in a lifetime Elk hunt while I can still do it. Hell, I recently sold a bare RIA stock I got on a $175 (I think) CMP low number RIA 03 just a few years ago for $350. Just the stock. It was a very nice stock though. Most of my Russian, French, Swede, Swiss, Jap and others are selling from double to 30% more than I paid so, yes I will make money. And that doesn't count the 03's, carbines, Eddystone and Garands.

Great that I could have made money compounding interest for 38 years and, if fact, I've made a ton of money in the market. But, I only started actively collecting vintage rifles 11 years ago and 30% to 100% return in that period of time can't be minimized. Wait and see what happens when the newest batch of Garands dried up like the 03's and Carbines did. Try to find $500 deals on 1903's these days if you can find any decent ones at all for sale. If you do, expect a $1500 price tag for a good one. I don't have $1800 invested in all three of mine and they are all beauties.

Last edited by lapriester; 06-05-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:40 PM

self control and a stuffed wallet do pay off when opportunity presents itself. It also helps to local gun shows for persons who decide to attend not necessarily with a table. garage sales, flea markets, house or farm auctions, coon hunter gatherings, newspaper ads, or just belonging to a sportsman club may create an opportunity to come out of nowhere. Never hurts to have 10 Benjamins tucked in your wallet.
Too bad that pawn shops refer to gun broker to "price".
Yes also, know your state and/or local laws.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:51 PM

Trailboss1 post summed up my thoughts. It basically boils down to the current environment and supply and demand. I purchased several AR and M1A receivers before the 1993 Clinton band , several months after the ban was in effect I more than doubled money . Today do to the laws changing the AR receivers today are lower than what they were 20 years ago. I recently retired and have been out of the hobby for twenty years and my first gun show since retirement I was in sticker shock.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:24 AM

I have a spreadsheet of all my stuff, and am pretty good about looking on GunBroker for current sold prices now & then

I've got a 32% appreciation in value over 9 years, or 3.6% annually

So roughly consistent with LaPriester's experience
May it rest in peace.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:47 AM

Here is an often overlooked, unmentioned, fact between selling the "collection" and cashing in that 401K. Most will pay taxes of 25-30% on that 401K. You will not have a choice with the required reporting. What tax rate do you think someone will experience when selling a rifle 20 years after buying it?? And yes, I do know that, legally, you should report any and all gains from the sale of goods. How often do you think that actually happens? Even if you were challenged on it, how in hades would anyone be able to prove what you paid for something? Even if they could, you could have storage fees, upkeep and maintenance, etc to write against any gains. Heck, this is a hobby any way. Try buying a set of golf clubs, a boat, etc. hold them 20 years, sell them and see what kind of "gain" you end up with.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:30 PM

1988 paid $79 for a mint Sako Finnish 28-30, today $900+.