X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tyler9274
    • Jul 2017

SA M1A Loaded or JRA M14?

I'm looking into getting an M1A/M14 with tax return season approaching. I've narrowed down my choices to a new production loaded M1A or a James River Armory M14. Both are about $1500. Id be mounting a scope and using it for recreational shooting and hunting. I finally found a gun club to join within driving distance that has ranges out to 600yds. I'm new to the M1A/M14 platform so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.classicfirearms.com/m14-...bula-parts-jra

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+carbon+barrel
    (would be $1500 with my military discount)

Which one would you recommend for a first time M1A/M14 buyer?!
    Tyler D
    SSGT @ USAF Civil Engineering-Power Pro
  • nf1e
    • Apr 2012

The James River without a doubt.
    Very close to USGI as far as tolerances and construction material.
    Great folks to work with as a bonus.

Semper Fi
    Art
    Semper Fi
    Art
    Sgt USMC 66 -72
    RVN 67-68

Comment

• tyler9274
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by nf1e View Post
      The James River without a doubt.
      Very close to USGI as far as tolerances and construction material.
      Great folks to work with as a bonus.

Semper Fi
      Art
      Will they be about the same when it comes to accuracy? I've heard the JRA comes with USGI parts? and doesnt require much tweeking out of the box. How does the trigger group and Bula barrel stack up against the NM parts on the SAI?
      Tyler D

Comment

• Digital_Chaos
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by bandofM1
        Just say no to Springfield junk ,buy the JRA .
        bull ******** comments like this are unwarranted.. what are you 12?

I have no issues with a My SA M1A national match..

If you are going to shoot your mouth off then back it up with facts... and their politics is not what the guy asked for

Comment

• nf1e
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by tyler9274 View Post
          Will they be about the same when it comes to accuracy? I've heard the JRA comes with USGI parts? and doesnt require much tweeking out of the box. How does the trigger group and Bula barrel stack up against the NM parts on the SAI?
          Accuracy should be about the same.
          James River is using mostly Bula Defense Systems receivers and parts currently as the supply of USGI has settled to a trickle.
          Parts including trigger group by Bula are all made in Cleveland OH and are of the highest quality available today.

Semper Fi
          Art
          Semper Fi
          Art
          Sgt USMC 66 -72
          RVN 67-68

Comment

• cal50
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bandofM1
            Just say no to Springfield junk ,buy the JRA .

You mean the company that has made thousands of M1a rifles for the longest with a lifetime warranty ?

Comment

• howardhuge
              • Dec 2009

Tyler9274 Heres my .02 Cents.... With a Budget of 1500.00 there are some good deals to be had buying USED . I WOULD NOT Buy any New SAInc rifles today... Buy a used SAInc rifle SN UNDER 100K that has USGI Parts on it...there are several Nice rifles on different sites including AR15 Forum, Here, etc. James River Rifles are made by Bula, are forged receivers with NON USGI parts on them. they come with a 1 Year Warranty if I read it right when I considered buying one. Read up on their reviews before spending the $$$. Norinco Rifles built on USGI rifles parts are quite good...and Fulton Armory...again used market. If you think the rifle will shoot 600 yds Out the Box ..... never happen. The Optic mount is the weak link on the rifle...buying a scope mount and setting it up can be a bear. Stock Bedding, trigger work, good ammo and experience on the weapon makes for a 600 yds consistent shot. Good Luck.
              Last edited by howardhuge; 01-16-2018, 07:00 AM.

Comment

• nf1e
                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by GM1MAN
                Buy what you want after you do your research. SAI warranties their rifles for life, even if not the original owner, as long as no major alterations have been made. I have a SAI NM that will shoot much better than me.

I have had it for several years and have had no problems with it at all. It is a high serial numbered rifle and I use a Bassett Low Picatinny mount on it when I wish to use a scope.

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion on these rifles, but you need to figure out what you are trying to accomplish with your purchase and how you will be using the rifle you buy. Are you going to be a competitive shooter or just a range shooter like me?

I have no dog in the hunt here as I do not work for SAI or Bassett Machine, my opinion is my own.
                Agreed on the Bassett mounts. Easy on and easy off with very close return to your established zero.
                Semper Fi
                Art
                Sgt USMC 66 -72
                RVN 67-68

Comment

• zippysrifle
                  • Jan 2010

Jra

I recently purchased a JRA. There are no GI parts on it. All marked parts are BULA. A nice surprise was the NM style round spring guide. The stock and hand guard are stained a darker brown than I care for, but that’s an easy fix. Very smooth operation and lockup. I also had a SA, no complaints there either. I sold the SA because it was getting a little long in the tooth. My round count books show a running total of over 68k fired. I changed barrels every other shooting season regardless of round count but it was about every 5k. Pins and springs are cheap, don’t be afraid to change them. I think that either will serve you well but it’s your money, buy what you want.

Comment

• 10thmountain
                    • Apr 2016

Are you going to compete with it?

Comment

• cal50
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by nf1e View Post
                      Agreed on the Bassett mounts. Easy on and easy off with very close return to your established zero.

It's the simplest and one of the best mounts made for the M1A, if you want optics.
                      I use one across multiple rifles and never an issue.

Comment

• tyler9274
                        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by 10thmountain View Post
                        Are you going to compete with it?
                        I don’t intend to compete in the near future but I might down the road if my skills are adequate. At the moment I am just looking for a nice M1A/M14 with good manufacturing quality to shoot and enjoy. I’m assuming any rifle I buy will need to be tweaked for accuracy.
                        Tyler D

Comment

• 10thmountain
                          • Apr 2016

I wouldn't spend a ton of money on a plinker.

Comment

• Digital_Chaos
                            • Oct 2009

I have had my SA M1A since 2014 I purchased it new.. 300K serial number shoots like a champ and I do compete with it.. But like some had said before there are some really nice rifles out there that are non SA if you want to drop the dime on them.. But for me a life time warranty and proven accuracy. I will stick with SA..

Comment

• Digital_Chaos
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by tyler9274 View Post
                              I don’t intend to compete in the near future but I might down the road if my skills are adequate. At the moment I am just looking for a nice M1A/M14 with good manufacturing quality to shoot and enjoy. I’m assuming any rifle I buy will need to be tweaked for accuracy.
                              Competing is one of the best teaching tools you can get... You will learn quickly what you need to do. People from all skill levels compete.. The National Matches are one great time and you will meet many people that will just blow your mind with all they know..

2 years ago I shot in the vintage match with a gent that was 79 years old/young he was using a Krag he kicked my butt flat out If i remember right he shot 290

Comment

Working...
                              X