Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypa38 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do you get that information? It's really interesting stuff! Although it's completely unrelated, would your methods of information gathering help find out what my grandfather did in the war? He never talked about it, so I tried going through the VA and was told all records were lost in the fire.
Thanks again to everyone who replied. I appreciate you guys taking the time to share information.
There are three of us that have been basically duplicating all the National Archive locations on our hard drives. We have been doing it for a lot of years.

On your grandfather he must have been Army or Army Air Corps if his records were lost in the fire. Navy and Marines personnel files were at a different location and are sill all intact.

There are substantial amounts of records of people scattered among the archives, but it is basically impossible to know if there is anything about your grandpa at one of them.

I always focus on the weapons sections when I go to a archive location. But the files they all have on the individuals is massive. But it wouldn't be detailed records on your grandpa if you were lucky enough to find something. The records would be generic at these locations. You would find his name on a pay and leave document, or you would find his name on a disciplinary document, or on a roster of a individual unit. It would be something like that and not a duplicate of his whole file.

It's sort of complicated to explain the way the archives works, but I don't think that is the direction I would take if I was you.

If he was Marine or Navy, you can get a full copy of his records. There are some records of the Army that survived the fire, and I would hire a private researcher to look to make sure they didn't survive. I can send you her contact info if you would like to try that route. She is amazing at tracking down personal files if they still exist.

But past that, Ancestry is a good place to start. There are a lot of personal military records on there. You can do keyword searches and you would most likely find some basic info on him. I also have had good luck with searching newspapers of the hometown he went to war from. I will travel to their library and go thru the old microfilm or periodical section.

The biggest lead I could tell you. Go to the county building he went to war from, or the county building of the county he passed away in and was buried. A lot of times vets filed their service records, at least their DD214, at the county building when they returned or family filed it to get military death benefits when they passed.

My own grandpa's records from WWI were lost in the fire. I went to the county building for the county he passed in, I found his main discharge papers. I found out a lot about him from that.

If you want, I have access to ancestry.com. I'm pretty good on there on finding info. Post his full name and any info you know on him, like hometown, birthdate, etc.. Or you can PM if you like. I can do a quick search if anything would pop out on ancestry. Sometimes you get lucky on there.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:27 AM

Thanks, I'll send you a PM tonight

Boy, I sure derailed my own thread!

So back to 1903's!
One thing I forgot to ask. Aside from the barrel and reciever, what are the most expensive parts to buy when I try to acquire correct parts?
Old 06-03-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how do you get that information? It's really interesting stuff! Although it's completely unrelated, would your methods of information gathering help find out what my grandfather did in the war? He never talked about it, so I tried going through the VA and was told all records were lost in the fire.
Thanks again to everyone who replied. I appreciate you guys taking the time to share information.
NPRC in St. Louis where the service records are located is closed due to the Chinese Cooties - both to walk-ins and mail-ins. According to the website, the 1973 fire destroyed 80% of Army records, so you're not completely out of the game.

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/mi...ervice-records

If they ever reopen, I would send a request - if you can provide minimum basic info indicated on request form. This costs nothing and might give you his unit. Tying an individual to a unit opens up a world of new possibilities for research.

In addition to Steve's good advice on contacting courthouse in his county of residence upon arriving home, I'd add two more - if he has a VA headstone, there's probably a copy of his discharge in his headstone application file at the National Archives. (Funeral home might have one as well.)

If you manage to ID his unit, you can hire a private researcher to go through his unit's morning reports for mentions. That can be a bit time consuming.

With the unit ID'd, you can locate published unit history (if any) and/or get copies of various unit reports from NARA.

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:11 PM

I went out to the North Store today and bought a 1903 mark 1........and that's about all I know about it so far!
It has an S stock with a RIA FK in a box cartouche. There's no cutout on the left side, but the wood is below ejection port. The barrel is from '42. On the bottom of the safety lug is J something, but can't tell for sure. Looks like maybe a 5. Also the band with the front sling swivel is wobbly, but cinched down tight on the swivel. I'm thinking it's the wrong front swivel. It's marked dark bore, but the armorer said he wasn't sure why, it looked just fine to him!
Should I wait to shoot it until I can get that band snuggled up?
Old 06-11-2020, 09:32 PM

Thanks for your patronage!

The lower band is loose probably because the wood has shrunk or has been sanded or scraped. The swivel is not the problem. You can tighten the lower band by putting some duct tape under it.

A tight lower band is not necessary to shoot the rifle. You can shoot it as is. But if the bore is classified as dark, then you need to scrub the bore first and remove all residue and corrosion. Otherwise, your first shot could be real exciting and unforgettable.

Good Luck! Thanks again for your patronage! And stay safe!

J.B.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the info!
I'm gonna try to post some pictures in a new thread. I always have a little trouble getting them to show up, so might be a while!
Between the prices and excellent customer service, it's hard to beat the CMP!
Old 06-13-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I went out to the North Store today and bought a 1903 mark 1........and that's about all I know about it so far!
It has an S stock with a RIA FK in a box cartouche. There's no cutout on the left side, but the wood is below ejection port. The barrel is from '42. On the bottom of the safety lug is J something, but can't tell for sure. Looks like maybe a 5. Also the band with the front sling swivel is wobbly, but cinched down tight on the swivel. I'm thinking it's the wrong front swivel. It's marked dark bore, but the armorer said he wasn't sure why, it looked just fine to him!
Should I wait to shoot it until I can get that band snuggled up?
Rebuilt Rock Island Arsenal inspector Frank Krack. I would leave it as is. Changing parts will not affect value at all no matter. You would better off leaving it as is. Does it have the Hacther hole. https://usmcweaponry.com/pre-war-wwii-usmc-m1903s/

Last edited by bandofM1; 06-13-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:46 PM

I don't think it has the Hatcher hole. It has the hole on the right side, forgot to look at the bolt though!
Mine is a straight finger groove stock, and yesterday I started oiling the stock and found another faint cartouche. SA DAL a little further back.