Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2019, 07:09 AM

Default Removing RRA NM barrel and tube ?

Any way to remove the barrel and float tube together on a RRA NM rifle. Changing from A2 to A4 and don't want to remove the tube unless I have to. Is there a wrench that will fit over the tube and engage the barrel nut ??
Thanks 8mm
Old 10-23-2019, 03:57 PM

I have a magpul wrench and had to cut and grind away until it could fit over the tube. I know people have done this with other models as well. Someone else might reply with one that fits over the tube. I know someone made one that utilized a bike chain to engage the teeth on the barrel nut (not sure who though).

You could remove the barrel nut with the tube still installed, but if you are reusing the tube on an A4 upper there is a good chance it won’t index correctly. I believe that RR uses red loctite or something similar on tubes, so you would need a torch to heat the tube and break the bond. Once it’s smoking hot you should be able to use a wrench and remove the lock ring and tube from the nut. This is all obviously easier to do if everything is attached to the upper receiver and mounted in a vice.

Best of luck with your switch to A4. You won’t regret it. I have a centerfire and rimfire A2s that I swapped over to A4s last winter and haven’t looked back.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:27 PM

Yeah, I tried to swap out the bbl on my RRA, and found that loc-tite to be 'well-entrenched.' Not willing to torch it, I brought it to them, at the Nationals, to swap the A2 upper of the A4.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:42 AM

I could not get the jam nut off the float tube. The one hole in the jam nut is only 3/16 in diameter and only 1/16" deep. I have a bunch of spanner wrenches, but the ones that would fit where to flimsy. I tried padding vise grips with alum and heating till the lock tight smoked, but the nut would not budge. I ended up using two 2x4's and dowels (M4carbine forum see pic). I thought it would remove the tube even if it destroyed it. Well the tube even though its thin, its very tough. The tube did not come off the nut, but the barrel nut did loosen. I plan on using the Bison Armory shims. The barrel nut rotates 50 degrees to far (3 re-torques). I calculated with a 16 pitch thread I need .008 to .010 to get it close. I will post results when the shims arrive.

Last edited by 8milimeter; 11-08-2019 at 08:17 AM. Reason: pics
Old 11-08-2019, 08:12 AM

My RRA jam nut and float tube were heated up till the loctite gave it tell tale puff of smoke and then a punch was used in the jam nut hole and was tapped to rotate it off.

Good luck.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:20 AM

I will take that route if the shims don't work out. I really wish the jam nut were bigger and had a standard spanner groove.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:55 AM

Like said heat lock nut with torch to loosen loctite, forget about spanner and use channel lock pliers or pipe wrench. You will mark up lock ring but who cares you can't see it.
You can also get replacement lock rings from RRA.

For tube body again torch heat, use pliers or a box end wrench in gas tube cutout slot to loosen tube off BBL nut.
Old Yesterday, 05:48 AM

Received the shims and assembled the rifle. All went well, my calculation of .008-.010 was close. Ended up with .012 of shims to line it up. Rifle is shooting great. Now I have to get used to the scope.