Go Back   CMP Forums > Regional Matches and Events > South > Texas
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2010, 08:39 PM

Default Looking for Garand-friendly ranges

Hello fellow Texans,
I'm looking for garand-friendly ranges in north Texas (the closer to north Dallas, the better). What I, like everyone else, typically run into at ranges is the "no fmj" rule and range officers that don't like my surplus ammo. I'd appreciate any info or thoughts on the matter.
Thanks gents!!
Matt
Old 03-08-2010, 09:23 PM

Matt,

These one may be too far for you to drive:

Parker County Sportsman Club

http://www.parkersportsman.com/

Down in Abilene (if you come this way) the Abilene North range has no issues with service rifles

http://abilenegunclub.com/

cheers, rw
Old 03-08-2010, 09:29 PM

rw,
thanks for the info. those are both a pretty good hike for me. the closest is the parker county at about 95 miles, but for a good range, that drive is not out of the question. thanks for your input!!
matt
Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 PM

Matt i shoot here http://www.tdsa.net/ its about 20-25 minutes from downtown dallas. its $250 a year but you can use his pistol facilities too. he has 3 shooting lanes with yards of 100, 200 and 300. everbody who shoots out there is more interested in IPSC shooting. he also trains spec ops guys for the military in pistol shooting. it might seem high but figure 20 bucks a trip to the range and i look at it as prepaid for a year.

btw you can shoot full auto or any other class 3 stuff. fmj or ap ammo too.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:45 PM

I've been looking into this as well.

Ft. Wolters (Mineral Wells) -- the Army came in and re-evaluated the range and dropped the banhammer on firing lines longer than 500yrds and calibers bigger than .223. This instantly whacked half of the rifles used out there, including anything I have to shoot.

Johnson County Shooting Sports Assn. -- looks like they aren't doing well (just by looking at their website).

Terrell Gun Club (from memory) -- now "Terrell Rifle & Pistol Club"? Not sure what happened here or if they're open for service rifle match practices.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:38 PM

c5matt give this site a shot,

http://www.wheretoshoot.org/Find_Ran...subresults.asp

it can't hurt too much!
Old 05-02-2010, 08:01 PM

Default Dallas area range

Gibson's Outpost in Garland. I've been there and shot all of my mil-surps with FMJ. They are out by Devils Bowl.

Funk
Old 06-02-2010, 11:30 PM

Haltom City Rifle and Pistol Club (Inside the Fort Worth Loop)
We are a private Club but hold Six Garand Matches (Spingfield and Vintage Rifle too) a year open to the public. We are FMJ friendly Dues are $375 first year and $75 each year after that It is a small range 9 points at 100 yards and 4 points at 200 plust assorted pistol ranges. Only issue is 5 round limit on centerfire semi autos. Except for Garands during Garand matches then 8 round is OK if firing factory M-2 ball.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW28fan View Post
Haltom City Rifle and Pistol Club (Inside the Fort Worth Loop)
We are a private Club but hold Six Garand Matches (Spingfield and Vintage Rifle too) a year open to the public. We are FMJ friendly Dues are $375 first year and $75 each year after that It is a small range 9 points at 100 yards and 4 points at 200 plust assorted pistol ranges. Only issue is 5 round limit on centerfire semi autos. Except for Garands during Garand matches then 8 round is OK if firing factory M-2 ball.
What's HCR&PC's policy regarding M-2 ball ammo that attracts a magnet (e.g. HXP)?
Old 06-03-2010, 08:43 AM

HCR&PC rules only say "Tracer, incendiary, and armor piercing ammuntion is prohibited". HXP is none of those so it is OK.

Steve