Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2011, 10:57 AM

Default .30 carbine primers

I'm about to order some primers in bulk and am trying to decide between CCI small rifle magnum (recommended for my H110 powder) or CCI M-41 mil-spec primers. The latter are supposed to be harder to ignite (to reduce chances of a slamfire) and magnum.

I've done some searching, and it seems like some people use the M-41's exclusively, and some people have issues with failures to fire on the first hit in their carbines.

Should a properly functioning M1 carbine do just fine with the M-41 primers?
Old 06-21-2011, 02:45 PM

You don't need small rifle magnum for H110. Small rifle will work just fine. I use Winchester Small Rifle, and load either military surplus WC820 or W296.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
You don't need small rifle magnum for H110. Small rifle will work just fine. I use Winchester Small Rifle, and load either military surplus WC820 or W296.
My Speer manual recommends magnum primers for .30 carbine with H110 powder (and IIRC for .223 with H335 powder). Since those are the two rifle calibers I plan to load, all I've bought and used so far is small rifle magnum primers.

I expect my ARs would have no problem setting off M41 primers...the question is, what about the CMP carbines? Currently, the M41's are cheaper than small rifle (magnum or standard), so I'm wondering if there's any drawback to ordering them.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl00 View Post
My Speer manual recommends magnum primers for .30 carbine with H110 powder (and IIRC for .223 with H335 powder). Since those are the two rifle calibers I plan to load, all I've bought and used so far is small rifle magnum primers.

I expect my ARs would have no problem setting off M41 primers...the question is, what about the CMP carbines? Currently, the M41's are cheaper than small rifle (magnum or standard), so I'm wondering if there's any drawback to ordering them.
Speer Manual #11................CCI 400 (Small Rifle)
Lyman Manual #47................Rem. 6 1/2(Small Rifle)
Hornady Manual #5...............WSR(Winchester Small Rifle)
Accurate Arms 1998..............CCI 400(Small Rifle)

You are only igniting 15 grains of powder, plus using a long(er barrel than that of a pistol) so a magnum primer is not needed.

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 06-21-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:55 PM

You will probably see some FTFs with the CCIs if you shoot them through enough different carbines. I suspect it is more of a head space issue that a primer quality issue. I went through a bunch of carbines and had maybe 15% with varying degrees of ignition problems. I use M41s with H110 per manufacturers recommendations. If my carbine didn't like them, I didn't like the carbine.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
You will probably see some FTFs with the CCIs if you shoot them through enough different carbines. I suspect it is more of a head space issue that a primer quality issue. I went through a bunch of carbines and had maybe 15% with varying degrees of ignition problems. I use M41s with H110 per manufacturers recommendations. If my carbine didn't like them, I didn't like the carbine.
In my searching, I've found a few threads suggesting carbine ignition problems may be caused by excessive headspace / trimming the brass too short. I've been trimming to about 1.282". I might adjust that up a few thousandths to 1.285". I've had a small % of my reloads not ignite on the first hit, but I'd figured that was probably more of a primer seating issue. I've been finding the Aguila brass to be relatively difficult to seat the primers in (compared to 9mm or .45acp). The most recent batch of brass I've prepped, I put through my Dillon swager, though I'm not sure if I had it adjusted far enough to accomplish much.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:22 PM

Speer Manual #13 .............CCI magnum small rifle
I can't find the Hodgdon web site ref. Do or not. Your choice.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:40 AM

I should add that the magnum primer recommendation came as a result of reports of high pressures in reduced loads of H110 with standard primers. This was a topic 3 to 5 years ago both here and Jouster with the flood of carbines that hit the market.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl00 View Post
I'm about to order some primers in bulk and am trying to decide between CCI small rifle magnum (recommended for my H110 powder) or CCI M-41 mil-spec primers. The latter are supposed to be harder to ignite (to reduce chances of a slamfire) and magnum.

I've done some searching, and it seems like some people use the M-41's exclusively, and some people have issues with failures to fire on the first hit in their carbines.

Should a properly functioning M1 carbine do just fine with the M-41 primers?
I have had issues with CCI 41's. May have just been my Carbine (firing pin) but no issues with standard SR primers..

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer
Old 06-22-2011, 12:54 PM
GSM Master Instructor

I have had issues with CCI 41's in multiple Carbines of mine.
I have had NO issue with any other brand of SR primers I have used for my Carbine loads.
I have no issue with 41's in my AR's.

Distinguished Rifleman 2383
CMP RSO II