Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-21-2011, 10:57 AM
njl00 njl00 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 168
Default .30 carbine primers

I'm about to order some primers in bulk and am trying to decide between CCI small rifle magnum (recommended for my H110 powder) or CCI M-41 mil-spec primers. The latter are supposed to be harder to ignite (to reduce chances of a slamfire) and magnum.

I've done some searching, and it seems like some people use the M-41's exclusively, and some people have issues with failures to fire on the first hit in their carbines.

Should a properly functioning M1 carbine do just fine with the M-41 primers?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Sailormilan2 Sailormilan2 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Surrounded in Central CA
Posts: 684
Default

You don't need small rifle magnum for H110. Small rifle will work just fine. I use Winchester Small Rifle, and load either military surplus WC820 or W296.
__________________
Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-21-2011, 04:15 PM
njl00 njl00 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
You don't need small rifle magnum for H110. Small rifle will work just fine. I use Winchester Small Rifle, and load either military surplus WC820 or W296.
My Speer manual recommends magnum primers for .30 carbine with H110 powder (and IIRC for .223 with H335 powder). Since those are the two rifle calibers I plan to load, all I've bought and used so far is small rifle magnum primers.

I expect my ARs would have no problem setting off M41 primers...the question is, what about the CMP carbines? Currently, the M41's are cheaper than small rifle (magnum or standard), so I'm wondering if there's any drawback to ordering them.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Sailormilan2 Sailormilan2 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Surrounded in Central CA
Posts: 684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl00 View Post
My Speer manual recommends magnum primers for .30 carbine with H110 powder (and IIRC for .223 with H335 powder). Since those are the two rifle calibers I plan to load, all I've bought and used so far is small rifle magnum primers.

I expect my ARs would have no problem setting off M41 primers...the question is, what about the CMP carbines? Currently, the M41's are cheaper than small rifle (magnum or standard), so I'm wondering if there's any drawback to ordering them.
Speer Manual #11................CCI 400 (Small Rifle)
Lyman Manual #47................Rem. 6 1/2(Small Rifle)
Hornady Manual #5...............WSR(Winchester Small Rifle)
Accurate Arms 1998..............CCI 400(Small Rifle)

You are only igniting 15 grains of powder, plus using a long(er barrel than that of a pistol) so a magnum primer is not needed.
__________________
Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof.

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 06-21-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-21-2011, 05:55 PM
CarlC CarlC is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 478
Default

You will probably see some FTFs with the CCIs if you shoot them through enough different carbines. I suspect it is more of a head space issue that a primer quality issue. I went through a bunch of carbines and had maybe 15% with varying degrees of ignition problems. I use M41s with H110 per manufacturers recommendations. If my carbine didn't like them, I didn't like the carbine.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-22-2011, 09:05 AM
njl00 njl00 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
You will probably see some FTFs with the CCIs if you shoot them through enough different carbines. I suspect it is more of a head space issue that a primer quality issue. I went through a bunch of carbines and had maybe 15% with varying degrees of ignition problems. I use M41s with H110 per manufacturers recommendations. If my carbine didn't like them, I didn't like the carbine.
In my searching, I've found a few threads suggesting carbine ignition problems may be caused by excessive headspace / trimming the brass too short. I've been trimming to about 1.282". I might adjust that up a few thousandths to 1.285". I've had a small % of my reloads not ignite on the first hit, but I'd figured that was probably more of a primer seating issue. I've been finding the Aguila brass to be relatively difficult to seat the primers in (compared to 9mm or .45acp). The most recent batch of brass I've prepped, I put through my Dillon swager, though I'm not sure if I had it adjusted far enough to accomplish much.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-21-2011, 08:22 PM
CarlC CarlC is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 478
Default

Speer Manual #13 .............CCI magnum small rifle
I can't find the Hodgdon web site ref. Do or not. Your choice.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-22-2011, 08:40 AM
CarlC CarlC is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 478
Default

I should add that the magnum primer recommendation came as a result of reports of high pressures in reduced loads of H110 with standard primers. This was a topic 3 to 5 years ago both here and Jouster with the flood of carbines that hit the market.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-22-2011, 09:02 AM
GarandGrabber GarandGrabber is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Way the Heck up North-MI
Posts: 4,545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl00 View Post
I'm about to order some primers in bulk and am trying to decide between CCI small rifle magnum (recommended for my H110 powder) or CCI M-41 mil-spec primers. The latter are supposed to be harder to ignite (to reduce chances of a slamfire) and magnum.

I've done some searching, and it seems like some people use the M-41's exclusively, and some people have issues with failures to fire on the first hit in their carbines.

Should a properly functioning M1 carbine do just fine with the M-41 primers?
I have had issues with CCI 41's. May have just been my Carbine (firing pin) but no issues with standard SR primers..
__________________
Gary Russell

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-22-2011, 12:54 PM
jarheadteacher jarheadteacher is offline
GSM Master Instructor
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: California
Posts: 514
Default

I have had issues with CCI 41's in multiple Carbines of mine.
I have had NO issue with any other brand of SR primers I have used for my Carbine loads.
I have no issue with 41's in my AR's.
__________________
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Distinguished Rifleman 2383
CMP RSO II
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 AM.