X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • C Kerley
    • Nov 2016

Hi Lux Malcolm 8X issues

I'm kind of fishing for some help here. I purchased a Hi Lux Malcolm 8X for a sniper replica, sent in all my rifle parts to Chuck in Denver, and put the scope on the mounts myself when he sent the rifle back. A retirement and a move stalled my project for about six months, and including Chuck's time, I probably started this a little over a year ago.

After getting it all assembled, it was 3' off at 25 yards and wouldn't sight in. I sent the rifle and scope to Chuck recently, and he found a bend in it. I called Hi Lux and they have offered to sell me another one for $482, which adding in shipping is about $10 or so less than I can buy a new one.

I cannot for the life of me find where I bought this scope at (still working on that), which is Hi Lux's out in covering it in warranty.

Is there anyone out there that is reputable and can fix this issue, or am I stuck with purchasing a new one and watching this one sit on the shelf?
  • RVN 69-70
    • Oct 2009

Hmmmm..

Ya might be SOL (IMHO)
    SGT US ARMY RA - RVN 69-70,
    8th Field Hospital - Nha Trang

Comment

• eric_robin
      • Sep 2018

Originally posted by C Kerley View Post
      I sent the rifle and scope to Chuck recently, and he found a bend in it.
      Completely serious here - so any way to bend it the other way? There might be a way to put it in a jig and apply enough pressure to put it close to where it needs to be? Wonder if there's anyone out there that does this type of optical repair?
      Eric

Comment

• C Kerley
        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by eric_robin View Post
        Completely serious here - so any way to bend it the other way? There might be a way to put it in a jig and apply enough pressure to put it close to where it needs to be? Wonder if there's anyone out there that does this type of optical repair?
        I am waiting on a return call from one of their Tech's now, and I'm going to ask about a repair or whatever other option.

I was awfully frustrated, but I'm certain the lady told me if it didn't come directly from them, the warranty was not good. That was after I told her I thought I had purchased it from Amazon. After I told her the box had zero damage, she told me if the box was stored leaning, it could have bent it. I am having a hard time with that one.

Comment

• chuckindenver
          • Jan 2012

I the scope is bent in the middle, downwards, and at the end just at the bell to the left.
          I spent a day, messing with the bases, and the indexing of the barrel.
          keep in mind, after I set the bases in place. before I high temp them in place, I bore sight the scope {centered} adjusting index is sometimes needed to get that done.
          these scopes dont have very much adjustment travel, as much as we would thing they would. so when I sent this home originally it was bore sighted , and ready for range tuning,
          to get this scope back in line, it required .090 of shims, on the front base, out of over 200 of these installs, have never ever had to shim a base.
          it baked my noodle.
          so I removed the scope, sat it on my tool box, sat back and scratched my head.
          I looked up and spotted the issue...
          scope Is bent like a taco.
          so.
          I used my Lyman super spot, {centered} re set the bases in place, zeroed the whole deal, and called C kerley.
          I talked with Hi Lux as well...I plan on calling them again, to see what they can do. can it be straightened? that may be what needs to happen.
          as for the warranty?
          every major scope maker on the market offers a lifetime warranty, doesn't matter if it was purchased new, or second hand.. its a life time warranty,
          Leupold has played games with this. and ended up making good on it..
          any product sold today, is only as good as the company behind it.

Comment

• Jakeroub
            • Dec 2016

You'd think that they would have all the parts to build a scope and that they could just pull a new tube off the shelf and transfer all of the parts from the old tube to the new tube. Even if they normally do the assembly work overseas, it would be dumb not to have a supply of all of the parts on hand.

I'd expect that they could do this for free, even if out of their warranty. You might just need to talk to the right person, who cares about customer satisfaction.

Comment

• chuckindenver
              • Jan 2012

update.
              I just got off the phone with Chris at Hi Lux.
              after some talking, he has agreed to try and repair, or replace the scope with a refurb model.
              personally I dont think this scope can be straightened, usually a bend were the lens is attached stretches the metal, and its a done deal.
              they are emailing me an RPO. and the scope will be sent back to the factory.
              my response was. any product or service offered today, is only as good as the support behind it. he agreed..

Comment

• C Kerley
                • Nov 2016

About all I can add is wow. Folks, I just got off the phone with Chuck where I heard all the details, and I can't say enough good about him helping me. Just wow.

Comment

• hebes405
                  • Jan 2018

Them not covering the warnty becuse you didnt buy from them sounds like BS to me. Here is a copy of the warranty card that comes in the scope. If you sent it in you should be covered. I just got mine and was just about to fill out.

Lux https://imgur.com/gallery/SWTgFmc

Comment

• chuckindenver
                    • Jan 2012

the fact that you need to fill out the card, and send it in.. gives them an out.
                    as well as doing it 10 days from the purchase date.
                    im not a lawer.
                    but...if they wanted to tell anyone SOL. this is a way out.
                    not many will actually fill out the card and send it in.
                    but will be quick to call with a warranty issue when it comes up.
                    iv learned , if its mine, and im going to use it.. fill it out, send it in, take a copy of it..
                    purchase of a Drier with a life time warranty. cured me of this.
                    went out within 2 years of purchase.
                    I called them, they asked if I had sent in the proof or purchase with the warranty card. as they didn't have it on file.
                    so...yes, I did. and heres the copy..
                    ok.. will have someone right out to fix it..
                    had I not. I would have been SOL

Comment

• hebes405
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by chuckindenver View Post
                      the fact that you need to fill out the card, and send it in.. gives them an out.
                      as well as doing it 10 days from the purchase date.
                      im not a lawer.
                      but...if they wanted to tell anyone SOL. this is a way out.
                      not many will actually fill out the card and send it in.
                      but will be quick to call with a warranty issue when it comes up.
                      iv learned , if its mine, and im going to use it.. fill it out, send it in, take a copy of it..
                      purchase of a Drier with a life time warranty. cured me of this.
                      went out within 2 years of purchase.
                      I called them, they asked if I had sent in the proof or purchase with the warranty card. as they didn't have it on file.
                      so...yes, I did. and heres the copy..
                      ok.. will have someone right out to fix it..
                      had I not. I would have been SOL
                      Yep! That's why I put that bad boy in the mail box today

Comment

• Col. Colt
                        • Oct 2013

Unfortunately, the world is now run by lawyers and corporate bean counters, looking to squeeze every nickel instead of honest Gentlemen and Ladies.... I have an interest in this outcome, as I only need a scope to finish my M1903A1 USMC Sniper.

Hi Lux, like many outfits selling China/foreign sourced goods, probably doesn't have a battery of skilled technicians sitting around waiting for warranty repairs to come in. They sell a pre-boxed product, and probably have limited parts and equipment to make repairs. The people building the product are probably lowly paid and new to optics - but that's the trade off for affordable prices vs. original Unertl.

This doesn't sound repairable - and they hopefully will come up with a satisfactory solution. I would take a "refurb" as long as it worked 100% for what I needed it to do and was not too ugly, and be happy if it brought a happy conclusion to my project with good results and an accurate rifle.

That scope had to have been bent at the factory, and shipped without inspection, obviously. I don't believe it bent in the box. Phone order takers have been known to speculate on things they have no knowledge of . Hope you get satisfied - let us know. CC

Comment

• C Kerley
                          • Nov 2016

warranty card

You know, I had forgotten about that card. I did in fact fill out that warranty card back when I bought it sitting at my desk at work. Now, within 10 days..."maybe". I hadn't given them any of my information yesterday, maybe they'll feel better about it all if they find me in their system.

Comment

• hebes405
                            • Jan 2018

I'm not sure how they can even prove you sent it in within the 10 days. No where on the fourm did it ask for a copy of the sales slip or proof a purchase. I think if they look you up that should help the situation. Good luck

Comment

• Calif-Steve
                              • Nov 2009

The scope is made in China. Likely they have no repair parts at all. They may have a few returns, but no spares as such. They can not return it to the factory and likely the factory only manufactures scopes, no repair work, either. Hi Lux has no interest in this thing at all. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X