• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDRT
    • Oct 2009

Ruger's new Mark IV .22 pistol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAteY5RFEoI

Ruger has updated their .22 pistol, finally, with an push-button take-down so it is easier to clean. The video does not show the target version, but it is similar to the Model 10101 Mark III.

Now, we just need Volquartsen to come out with a better trigger package since their offerings won't fit this pistol.
    Last edited by CDRT; 09-24-2016, 05:31 PM.
    Navy Vet, Distinguished Pistol
  • yep
    • Feb 2016

Big improvement.

Comment

• bruce
      • Nov 2009

If the lockup of the barrel/receiver to the frame is as rigid and durable as the Mk. I,II,III ... it'll be a great improvement. But, otherwise, it'll just be another example of someone taking a great pistol and making it an also ran. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
      <><

Comment

• TLB
        • Jul 2010

Anyone know if Mark III uppers would fit on the IV grip frame? My ideal would be a 22/45 and conventional grip frames and 3-4 upper receivers with different barrel configurations. Of course, as Bruce noted good lockup over lots of takedowns would be required. Although my most accurate Ruger literally falls apart as soon as the mainspring is removed.
        Current Feedback:
        Former iTrader Feedback: 41 with 100% positive transactions

Comment

• Greg Ficklin
          • Oct 2009

I predict that the MK IV will be handgun of the year, with demand outpacing production.
          Expect to order and wait. The Mk IV changes everything people hated about the MK III. Gone is the chamber indicator, and complicated disassembly. It will be the standard for CMP EIC pistol especially if they make a steel lower for a 22/45 unlike the polymer lower on the MK III.
          Distinguished Rifleman #2198
          NRA HP XTC High Master (service rifle)
          NRA Patron Life member
          PCGC Junior Team coach
          CMP GSM Master Inst.

Comment

• TLB
            • Jul 2010

Originally posted by TLB View Post
            Anyone know if Mark III uppers would fit on the IV grip frame? My ideal would be a 22/45 and conventional grip frames and 3-4 upper receivers with different barrel configurations. Of course, as Bruce noted good lockup over lots of takedowns would be required. Although my most accurate Ruger literally falls apart as soon as the mainspring is removed.
            Appears to be no interchangeablility. Looks like barrel/receiver assembly attaches to the grip frame with some type of pivot pin just to the rear of the barrel. No 1911 profile grip styles are shown for the Mark IV only the traditional Mark I grip angle. Stainless models have stainless frames, blue have aluminum, catalogue pricing seems to be on par with Mark III offerings.
            Current Feedback:
            Former iTrader Feedback: 41 with 100% positive transactions

Comment

• Rootsy
              • Feb 2013

Oh sure I go and buy a Mark III Competition today for 22 EIC and then read this. Go figure!
              Michigan Rifle & Pistol Assoc - State High Power Director
              Distinguished Rifleman #2297

Comment

• CDRT
                • Oct 2009

I would imagine that if the lockup is not consistent, Volquartsen or someone will come up with a fix, just like that spacer for the AR-15 lower to make it more rigid.
                Navy Vet, Distinguished Pistol

Comment

• wdodd
                  • Dec 2011

Yep, gotta get one! Nuff said.

Comment

• willie8
                    • Apr 2010

I never had a problem disassembling the older version. Not going to buy a new one just for disassembly?????

Comment

• Jason D
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by willie8 View Post
                      I never had a problem disassembling the older version. Not going to buy a new one just for disassembly?????
                      If most people would read the manual, they wouldn't have a problem as long as they stopped at just removing the mainspring housing and bolt.

I've shot a 22/45 since they came out, and it's an easy gun to maintain. It's also easy to remove the top end without a mallet.

My MKIII was a pain in the anus with the mag disco dance, and the fact the mainspring housing needed to be beat out with a mallet and a punch. The upper will not come off either without a rubber mallet. Hence the pain in the rectum part.

The housing got easier to remove with use. I got sick of having to beat the upper off to clean it, so I built a blast shield to keep the trigger parts clean. I don't bother removing the upper for a normal cleaning anymore. Just once about every 1000 rounds or so now.

I can see the MK4 being attractive to some, but with myself having completely torn the MKIII apart several times. I am intimately familiar with it's internal workings. I doubt I would buy a new one unless they came out with a 7" heavy barreled target model.

Comment

• Varminterror
                        • Feb 2012

I've built/rebuilt a lot of Ruger Standard, Mark I, Mark II, and III (and 22/45) pistols for customers, as I've sold a truck load of them (most of them with action jobs) to beginning handgun class students over the years.

I've always fit the "upper" to the "lower" for all of these models, so none of mine have ever had disassembly issues past the first time it came apart for me to do the work.

Good for Ruger for making a market-back design change - people have been calling for an assembly upgrade for decades, and the pressure really got poured on with the S&W Victory pistol - I've heard it often touted as "an easier to disassemble Ruger with a better trigger."

Would I sell a Mark II or III for a Mark IV? Eh, probably not. Will I buy a Mark IV? Yup!

Comment

• TexasC
                          • May 2012

I'm glad I got me one of these (MkIV 22/45)! As of now Volquartsen has replacement triggers, for most it is necessary. That is true for me as well but it was good enough that I was shooting mid 90s with 3+ "X" count, timed fire with the factory trigger, either using bullseye app on iphone or turning target. I put the replacement trigger in because with my feeble brain it is easier to make a mistake with that 6lb pull during sustained fire stages. I give the pistol I bought 10 stars out of 5 so you can see I have a high opinion of this model.
                          Signed, Still looking for my first points!

Comment

Working...
                          X