Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2017, 07:38 PM

Rob, what did you get? Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:14 AM

I talked with Rob this afternoon. It didn't happen.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:12 AM

Default Nope.....bought nothing and still had a great time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennboy View Post
I talked with Rob this afternoon. It didn't happen.
John is correct. I ended up not buying anything yesterday, either at the store or at the gun show. I was impressed by my restraint and still had a great time.

The store opened a little early on Saturday because the Class was there. Lot's of familiar faces in the crowd so spent more time visiting than looking at rifles.
Another forum member brought a really nice SA Rebuild for me to look at so we spent a fair amount of time dissecting his rifle. Nice rifle and a good guy.

We only planned to be at the store for about an hour since we were headed over to Birmingham with Nate but I did spend a little time looking at a few of the 6 mils.
Paul and I found two that were within one part of being correct. One had an HRA Op-Rod (an easy correct if you wanted to do that) and the other had a WWII SA bolt, also a fairly easy correct.
Also found a really nice Anniston Rebuild in the bunch. I was able to document it for my records which is cool. Another of them had a stock with the LK stamp. Many believe that is an early Letterkenny stamp, but the rifle did not exhibit any of the known LEAD characteristics so I suspect thet the stock just ended up on that rifle.
I did not look at all the 6 mils that were out, but of the four I did look at, I would have been happy with any one of them. Of the rifles I looked at, and a quick glance at the rest, all looked to have GI wood.
Already have a couple that were easy corrects so I passed on getting any more on this trip.

Briefly looked that the WRA M1Ds and saw a Field Grade with a decent barrel that also looked to have a GI finish. It was $1535 and probably worth every penny, but I already have a couple so put it back. I did not look at many cause I don't need the stress of additional temptation.

With the class present there were lot's of customers so best to leave whats on the racks for others anyway.

A good trip, but a sorry trip report. Just did not spend much time looking and was not really wanting to buy since I have good examples of what is out already anyway.
Still had a great time and already thinking of the next trip down.

till next trip,
Rob
Old 03-19-2017, 06:01 PM

Birmingham Show is consistently a great show.

+1---- I think it rivals The Springfield Mass. 1000+ gun show & or the Military Max show!

Sadly - Never been to the Louisville Ku. or big Tulsa Ok show!

Bring money!
broom
Old 03-19-2017, 08:12 PM

I bought a couple of the WWI dated leather slings at the south store. I could not decide which one I liked more so I bought both to decide later. One will look great on my 1918 M1917. And a few MRT marked $6 slings. I'm really kicking myself for not paying for the $35 1944 sling. I ended up spending $350 on a correct stock for my 1944 M1 and I wish I would have bought the sling. Still was a fantastic visit to the store and show.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post

+1---- I think it rivals The Springfield Mass. 1000+ gun show & or the Military Max show!

Bring money!
broom
You can go on Youtube and see videos of both the Louisville Show of Shows and the Wannenmacher Tulsa show.
USAF
Clark Air Base, Philippines
1961-1964
Old 03-20-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post

Bring money!
broom
Birmingham was/is an OK show, but not even close to what either the Show of Shows, or Gun Day America shows in Louisville are.
Either of those literally take all day, and a full day at that, and even that will not do them justice where the Birmingham show can comfortably be covered in a matter of a few hours.

just my personal experience,
Rob
Old 03-20-2017, 03:19 PM

Default Gun show experiences

Tulsa says 4500 table, but I think it's closer to 4200. Show of Shows is up to 2,000 table, and National Gun Day is around 1600. This next year the Show of Shows & Gun Day are supposed to be the same weekend again. The Show of Shows opens Thursday at noon for members. The Gun Day starts 9:00 am Saturday goes pretty much all day Sunday. You walk out of one 2,000 table show (nothing but military) and into the 1600 table Gun Day show one door over. Fantastic weekend.
USAF
Clark Air Base, Philippines
1961-1964