Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2017, 02:47 PM

I can't make it out. Too many handling marks for me to see anything.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:09 PM

After looking at your pictures again, in the close up picture of the serial you can see there is no cutout for the 1903A3 handguard ring so stock is correct for your rifle. You have a fairly early Remington, look to see if the receiver has the bolt stop hole and if the bolt stop actually installed. If so, look to see if the bolt has the indentations for its use.

Last edited by Robertp; 03-19-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:17 PM

I had to look up what you were referring to but it seems no bolt stop.

What is the number inside the stock for?

Found some more "R" marked parts...

Old 03-19-2017, 09:41 PM

Nice rifle and so what if everything isn't marked with an R. Even if you replaced those parts with parts stamped R for investment purposes it still wouldn't be original. Original only happens once and cannot be corrected in any way. Think of it like this, let's say you have two Remington made 03s sitting side by side on a table and one was truly original and the other restored. Which one would you pay the most for? It shouldn't be the restoration. I'm not saying that you ever intended to do this but it is good to get it out there that original only happens once. Kind of like you can't be a virgin ever again after doing the bump and grind. Again, nice rifle and you should enjoy the snot out of it!
Old 03-19-2017, 10:03 PM

Yeah, I'm not a parts swapper. I thought this one might have been more 'original' than it turned out to be. Still a neat rifle, though.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:47 PM

Nice 03!
Was it typical for Remington to sandblast the metal prior to parkerizing it? I have Remington 304447xx 2/42 that I believe is original and it does not have the cratered texture on the receiver and barrel. It has more of a machined texture.

Cartouche would look something like this:

Last edited by Farmer-Ted; 03-19-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:19 AM

The bolt stop was found on early Remington M1903s - I have seen all three variations: with the bolt stop, just the "holes" and those like the OP with nothing there. It was one of the many changes made when production was stepped up.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:29 PM

I really like this rifle. Original about everything and it is obviously never been abused or monkeyed with. I've never found one as good as this in that respect.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:00 PM

Well hopefully it shoots OK. The bore is shiny but I can see some signs of some minor pitting in the grooves and it has some wear. I think this one was used a bit over the years. I've had Mosin Nagants with bores that were much worse that proved to be good shooters, though. I didn't really buy this 1903 as a shooter, per se, but I plan to take it to the range at least once. I've never shot a 1903 before and want to see how it compares to a 1903A3.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer-Ted View Post
Nice 03!
Was it typical for Remington to sandblast the metal prior to parkerizing it? I have Remington 304447xx 2/42 that I believe is original and it does not have the cratered texture on the receiver and barrel. It has more of a machined texture.

Cartouche would look something like this:

That's a great looking stock! Love the markings. Thanks for the reference. I looked again at mine and just can't make out anything that resembles those markings. Probably worn away long ago!