Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2020, 01:12 PM

Default FA Match Ammo on Enblocs "Sealed"

I purchased some interesting (to me) Garand match ammo this weekend at a local show. It is a "sealed and verified" can of FA129. It has a wire tie and crimp closing the can. I am imagining that this was a can of rattle battle or XTC ammo that was issued. On the lid there is a note saying it was verified in 1992. Do I have a collectible can or should I open and inspect? Any ideas? I have been around high power for about 15 years...but, this is a new one to me.

Old 11-11-2020, 11:37 AM

Should look something like this on the inside:

BTW, nothing written on masking tape means much of anything to me.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:39 PM

Baydawg's would look a little different. His can is 240 rounds of Match ammo. yours is 280 rounds of M2.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajDave View Post
Baydawg's would look a little different. His can is 240 rounds of Match ammo. yours is 280 rounds of M2.
You're right, of course. I suppose the difference has something to do with the amount of match ammo issued for a particular course of fire.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:56 PM

If this can is opened, Could you post how the enblocs are marked?
Old 11-30-2020, 01:57 PM

I was firing in service rifle competition back in the glory days of marksmanship, 1950's and early 1960's. We were told that the M72 packed in clips was intended for 200 an 300 yard shooting as it was
determined to be less accurate. The M72 lots that tested more accurate was loaded in 20 round white boxes. I don't have any documentation on this, just going from memory.
I do recall taking the ammo from the white boxes and loading it in clips for rattle battle and rapid fire stages. I have great memories from those days.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajDave View Post
Yep, the cans were initially intended to only hold 240 rds. in enbloc clips. The cans with 280 rds. of M2 ball ammo in enbloc clips were repacked at Red River Arsenal and were overstuffed. It is common to see dents in the uderside of the lid.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:39 AM

Default Match ammo from Camp Perry

I will need to look at some old records I have but I believe that the can shown was a repack from the national matches. As I recall, the lead seals were used on the crates, not the cans. When we turned in ammo at the end of the matches we tried our best to have only one loose can per caliber but there could be several cans that were repacked by the ammo section of the support group to turn in full cans. In other words, not all ammo turned in was still sealed as we received it. There were a few times that a match was cancelled due to storms and many of cans of 45 ACP had to be repacked for turn in. The CMP employees would eventually verify that the ammo was correct and that is what the tape on the lid shows. Shelby was the lady in charge of the documents of issuing and turn in of ammo at the matches. Inside of the can should be a card from Frankford Arsenal showing the lot number matching the can and the date it was packed. Iím pretty sure that was one of our lot numbers that year, or from the early 90ís. I believe I still have a few of those packing cards. And for those of you fairly new to the matches, back in the day the CMP and DCM supplied the ammo for the matches and it was handled and distributed by military personnel assigned to the National Match Support Group. One more thing, I would try and estimate how much of each caliber would be needed each year and Shelby would check her inventory and draw from a lot number that would be sufficient for the matches. In other words, everyone shooting 30-06 that year, regardless of match or day of shooting, would fire the same lot number. Same with each caliber.