Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > Site Announcements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 06:56 PM

Why can’t your WW2 vet order one? If it was to be a gift, you pay for it.

I’m sure that the CMP would rather sell the pistol to the end-user anyway, rather than you buying for the purpose of transferring it to someone else.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:56 PM

See Number 6 please Clearly states 1 per calendar Year and there is more than this.Thats not a cut and Paste error is it? scroll down to the bottom for the original post
https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread...er+1911&page=2

#19 Report Post
Old 12-05-2017, 11:53 AM
CMP Chief Operating Officer

The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army.

Some preliminary decisions further clarified:

1. Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt.
2. All laws pertaining to the sale of 1911s by CMP will be strictly obeyed.
3. Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5)a signed copy of the 01 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.
4. A NICS background check will be performed by CMP on the customer to assure the customer is eligible to purchase prior to shipment to the FFL licensed dealer. The customer must receive a “proceed” from NICS prior to shipment of the pistol to the FFL licensed dealer.
5. The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person at the FFL dealers place of business, successfully passing a NICS check performed by the FFL holder, before the pistol can be transferred. This is a second NICS check performed on the customer.
6. Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.
7. No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales.
8. CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
9. Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery.
10. Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.
11. Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
12. The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
13. Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
14. When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one.
15. As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grade and pricing options will be available. Again, this done completely random.

Note: 1911 type pistols purchased from CMP cannot be transferred to 03 FFL (curio and relic) license. BATF and the United States Army prefer the second background check be performed by a “store front” FFL dealer. Each customer purchasing a 1911 type pistol from CMP will be subjected to two NICS background checks, one performed by CMP and the other performed by the FFL dealer the pistol is being shipped to.

Last edited by Ma Deuce; 11-25-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:01 PM

No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:07 PM

Talking ?

If it was being purchased as a gift, why doesn't the Vet complete the paperwork and family member pay for it? Like Pogi stated, it is CMP's ball, bat, glove and field, they make the rules. Just like GM, I wanted a 1972 Olds 442 convertible and they said they didn't make them anymore, same principle. Not trying to make anyone mad or upset, especially in this "climate". I figured I just saved the $200 tax per firearm that might be coming next year.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
Why can’t your WW2 vet order one? If it was to be a gift, you pay for it.

I’m sure that the CMP would rather sell the pistol to the end-user anyway, rather than you buying for the purpose of transferring it to someone else.
Its already been taken care of so its no longer a problem .He got his pistol and he is Happy as hell,he got it so quickly, But I'm not so happy, but thats ok,by the time he got one thru the lottery he may not have been with us,had I been able to order another I could have gave him mine like I did and i could have replaced it with a new one for me in the lottery it takes two years to get one ,im sure if he did order one in the lottery and survived all that time it would be ok if not there not transferring a .45 to a Deceased man and we wanted him to enjoy it now not have to wait forever. Had cmp stuck to the original plan We would not have a issue i could give him mine to enjoy and id order another in the lottery and just wait for mine no problem,Thats why we wanted to do it that way.Hes very old and fragile and wants to enjoy a little something from his past.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:14 PM

No sympathy here. I have been waiting patiently to purchase my first. RGN 18830. So sorry you can’t jump on a second one right away.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorfa View Post
If it was being purchased as a gift, why doesn't the Vet complete the paperwork and family member pay for it? Like Pogi stated, it is CMP's ball, bat, glove and field, they make the rules. Just like GM, I wanted a 1972 Olds 442 convertible and they said they didn't make them anymore, same principle. Not trying to make anyone mad or upset, especially in this "climate". I figured I just saved the $200 tax per firearm that might be coming next year.
You have a point on that $200.00 for sure and we all may be lucky to be able to hold on to anything semi automatic but as Mr Johnson states in Rules number 6 Clearly we will be able to purchase one per calendar year and I found this in less than 5 minutes i know there are plenty other places where it was stated as I to was here at the Beginning ,But like everyone says,You can not fight city hall,You can not make someone do what right and stick by there word ,But if they are honest people ,They stick by there word and or rules,Dont you? I know I do.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranehunter View Post
No sympathy here. I have been waiting patiently to purchase my first. RGN 18830. So sorry you can’t jump on a second one right away.
Dont worry, They said they would not open round two up until all the orders from round 1 were filled so,You will be getting yours and id think very soon if they will be taking new packets in Jan, You will be ok,Yours is a shoe in ,Your good to go,well according to the rules.But you should be just fine! And thank You very much,I wish things were better that way also and I could have,But its just how it is and at least he got one and ,I feel I did the right thing anyway. Sure im not happy but thats life I guess.Ill try and put some money together and reward myself for my deed ,lol actually I already got the best reward a guy could get and thats seeing a happy WW-2 Vet with a WW-1 CMP pistol in his hands and the smiles that brought today, That reward is the very best! I do not feel so bad now actually.Im just very disappointed in the organization I have supported for many years .I have supported CMP Handsomely over the years and will continue to as I'm not going to punish kids and others they help by withholding support i send there way thru purchases and I also get some fine firearms too from them.

Last edited by Ma Deuce; 11-25-2020 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:13 PM

So you are willing to wait X amount of time to buy a second one so that you can give it to your relative, but you are not willing to let the relative purchase his own (at your expense) because he might not be able to wait that same amount of time?
Old 11-25-2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEANinMICH View Post
Pretty sure 1911 sales have always been advertised as one per lifetime. Not sure why you thought you’d get to buy another
He got the idea because it said it in writing on the CMP 1911 page.
Closed Thread