Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-Sierra View Post
Jeremy, I have no issue with anything you said. I’d even be ok everyone using the same rifle like we did in SAFS. All this stuff ends up being an arms race it seems. I love shooting my a2 but with 60 year old eyes I shoot much better with Optics. If the rules said everyone shoot irons and I couldn’t keep up then I would accept that as “ that’s just the way it is” and drive on. I can pretty much afford to build any rifle I want now. For many years that was NOT the case and I try to remember that. I just want a standard that everyone understands and everyone adheres to. I just wanna shoot!

EDIT...I'll also add that I've loaned this exact rifle to others that don't have a MM and wanted to try it. Several shot it a Burner and also at Perry this year. They shoot my handloads and I try to give them a heads up what to expect with the sling tension. Luckily, in our sport there is many who will share gear in a heartbeat if it makes someones shooting day go well. I don't know of any other sport that is tight as the shooting community. i want that to continue long after i'm gone...

Best Regards to all,
Keith
Yeah...I agree I like the SAFS match as well..

I was mostly miffed at how the modern military rules as written have no place for the old milsurp semiautos to compete on a somewhat even field.

They are lumped into the MM class....I shot a 1949 rifle against others in MM and did well for what it was and compared to the vintage bolt guns (that it served alongside in service) it would have medalled...but the ARs have pushed the medals up pretty high. I am hoping at some point CMP allows actual "vintage" semi's to compete in the "vintage" match.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/654109364964194/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 08-27-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2171 View Post
Yeah...I agree I like the SAFS match as well..

I was mostly miffed at how the modern military rules as written have no place for the old milsurp semiautos to compete on a somewhat even field.

They are lumped into the MM class....I shot a 1949 rifle against others in MM and did well for what it was and compared to the vintage bolt guns (that it served alongside in service) it would have medalled...but the ARs have pushed the medals up pretty high. I am hoping at some point CMP allows actual "vintage" semi's to compete in the "vintage" match.
Jeremy, There is no such thing as a truly level playing field. It simply does not exist. The equipment rules, as messed up as they may be, give you options. If you want to do well, choose wisely. If you want to simply compete with a less than competitive rifle for sentimental reasons, realize that you will not do well and shoot solely for the pleasure of shooting.

The idea that there should be a separate class for every conceiveable rifle or rifle configuation is not practical.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
Jeremy, There is no such thing as a truly level playing field. It simply does not exist. The equipment rules, as messed up as they may be, give you options. If you want to do well, choose wisely. If you want to simply compete with a less than competitive rifle for sentimental reasons, realize that you will not do well and shoot solely for the pleasure of shooting.

The idea that there should be a separate class for every conceiveable rifle or rifle configuation is not practical.
It certainly isn't "practical" lumping in a 1942 rifle with a 2018 rifle ....thats my point..they can easily be lumped in with the vintage bolt guns..no issues..after all..those same semis are labeled "vintage" on the VSM rules...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/654109364964194/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 08-27-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2171 View Post
It certainly isn't "practical" lumping in a 1942 rifle with a 2018 rifle ....thats my point..they can easily be lumped in with the vintage bolt guns..no issues..after all..those same semis are labeled "vintage" on the VSM rules...
Yep, I do agree that it should not be considered a "modern" rifle when it obviously is a "vintage" rifle.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:51 AM

It would be good to see more of the classic semiautos at CMP matches. However, I like the "GSV" classes, as they have been working well for many years and do not want the disfunctional MM mess to contaminate the rest of the family. Fix MM and leave GSV alone. In short: give it up Jeremy. As pointed out, the same "unfairness" exists within the Vintage Sniper, Vintage "bolt" and MM classes and to some extent in all competition. Good Shooting. ...