Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2018, 08:06 PM

Oh, cool. When I was at Perry this year I said that would be fun if they opened that up to the public
Old 10-18-2018, 03:08 PM
Administrator

There's 10 firing points, so 10 competitors can fire at once. We'll start at 9am, with six relays, so the last relay should start around 1:30/2:00.

I'll check to see if we will allow competitors to shoot more than once.

Christine
Old 10-23-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
E type pop-up target from 50m to 300m. They use a special course of fire developed for this event.
I believe this is the exact same course that the US Army uses to qualify Rifleman.

This is the course I used when I was in the Army (1983-87), except we fired from a fox hole made with a big cement sewer pipe.

I think this is a poor way to train Rifleman and measure marksmanship, as a hit anywhere on the silhouette will cause it to fall. That said, I think the course has value, as it simulates an Infantry assault.

But it is FUN.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He knew war,and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/
Old 10-23-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon762 View Post
I believe this is the exact same course that the US Army uses to qualify Rifleman.

This is the course I used when I was in the Army (1983-87), except we fired from a fox hole made with a big cement sewer pipe.

I think this is a poor way to train Rifleman and measure marksmanship, as a hit anywhere on the silhouette will cause it to fall. That said, I think the course has value, as it simulates an Infantry assault.

But it is FUN.
Actually, they have modified the course of fire so it is somewhat different than the rifle qualification course.

For sure it is not a precise marksmanship exercise. However, it is useful at teaching someone how to rapidly engage targets at various ranges and at various angles from the shooter. It is basically a combat course and stresses the kind of skills one needs in many real world engagements.

In my opinion, a good rifleman needs to know how to engage targets with deliberate precision and with speed - depending on the situation. The skills required for both scenarios are different and both are important. In the real world, targets don't usually cooperate by standing stationary for very long. In that regard, shooting a pop-up course is very useful.

You are right, shooting pop-up targets sure is fun.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:32 PM

It's been a long time since I've qualified in the Army, but I shot the course at Perry last year and it seemed pretty much the same with the exception that at Perry you shoot all 40 targets at once instead of two strings of 20 in foxhole supported and prone unsupported positions.
Regardless, it's a lot of fun.
I shot it with my M1 and managed to qualify (barely). I only took 40 rounds to the firing point (like in the Army) so if I missed, no second chances.
Hopefully I'll get at least sharpshooter next month.