Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2018, 03:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod40 View Post
Sir, Thank you very much. I shall follow your advice and not use it. I did read the thread and think I understand it. It does not seem worth risking my good M1A.
Thanks again,
George
I learned my lesson and won't be using any more.
If you decided to pull the bullet and powder you might want to check this out. Purchased one and works extremely well. I have no connection!
https://grip-n-pull.com/
Old 11-15-2018, 09:30 PM

I was really considering getting some of their 260 grain 308s but after reading this I'm glad I didn't!
Old 11-15-2018, 10:06 PM

Any way to break this ammo down, resize the brass and reassemble? Not worth the effort? (Sell to a reloader?)
Old 11-15-2018, 11:25 PM

Well, earlier posters described various issues with failed cases, which would indicate problems with the brass case itself; GGaskill stated he thought the reconditioned military brass could have been previously fired in MG's, and the brass excessively work-hardened during the resizing process. So, the failure to fit a case gage would just be a symptom of an altogether poor case reconditioning process. Taking all that together, no, simply re-sizing the brass wouldn't solve anything.

My plan is to pull the bullets and scrap the brass. I've thought about saving the powder but since I don't know exactly what it is, and the relatively small quantity involved... probably put it on the garden instead. We're talking 300 rounds, or about 2 lbs of powder... just not worth it if you ask me.

The bullets are supposed to be Nosler 168gr HPBT's, so at least that's a known variable.

I might still have some Black Hills .223 match ammo in reconditioned cases, and I used to shoot a lot of it, with zero issues. But I haven't bought any in years. Beyond that, I think I'm done with "factory-reloaded" ammo. I'm sure the stuff from reputable manufacturers like BHA is probably OK, but I guess it's all just starting to seem like false economy. I'm kind-of surprised the CMP hasn't stepped up regarding the Atomic ammo they sold, but, whatever.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:42 PM

I have a batch of BVAC factory reloaded 308 ammo with lake city brass that had the same issue. Case separation near the rim. Blew out the bottom of a magazine. Thought it was a fluke, so I did some cautious test firing, and had a second one do the same thing in a different rifle.